Director of Student Services
The University of Connecticut Avery Point seeks an experienced higher education leader who is student focused, innovative, open and engaging, forward thinking, creative, and results oriented. Working under the general direction and administrative guidance of the Campus Director, the Director of Student Services will have responsibility for the strategic, programmatic, financial, and management functions that support the mission of the Unit and it’s role within the campus and broader university. The new leader will bring experience in a comprehensive range of student programs and services; the ability to understand the challenges and opportunities of a small regional campus; the ability to support students from varying backgrounds and experiences; and exceptional administrative, financial and managerial skills. Of significance, the Director will possess a deep and abiding commitment to the values of diversity, equity, access, and inclusion, including a proven record of advocacy for students who are traditionally marginalized and underrepresented in higher education. The successful candidate will also serve as the campus’s dean of students in academic and conduct matters and be an exceptional member of a senior team that values collaboration, cooperation, inclusivity, transparency, and a sense of fun.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads the student services unit in upholding its mission, vision and goals towards effective retention and success initiatives.
- Directs the day-to-day operation and administration including Admissions, Academic Advising, Student Activities, the Welcome Center, Student Orientation, Wellness and the First Year Experience.
- Provides leadership and direct supervision of student engagement, retention, advising, and recruitment of staff and works with University partners including Mental Health Services and Disability and Career Services to accomplish institutional goals and objectives.
- Recruit, hire, train, retain, inspire, and hold accountable a team dedicated to ensuring the success of students from all backgrounds
- Develops and appropriately advocates for budgetary resources and manages approved program budget; makes decisions regarding appropriateness of expenditures and prepares budget reports and projections.
- Works directly with faculty and students to resolve issues and concerns regarding a student’s academic or personal functioning and make referrals where appropriate; manage requests for exceptions for academic processes as required.
- Serves as a resource to faculty, staff, and students on matters relating to program policies, procedures and activities. Develops policies and procedures, in consultation with Campus Director.
- Advocates, understands and responds to the challenges of today's student populations including First Generation students.
- Represents the Avery Point campus on University committees, and at community meetings and functions.
- Responsible for special projects/operations which require planning, development, implementation, and thorough knowledge of the program content and activities.
- Evaluates effectiveness of program services and policies through the collection of program data; identifies problems and institutes changes or makes recommendations for major changes.
- Performs office management duties for the program; directs the work flow and supervises the necessary administrative paperwork, records, and complex filing system to support program, including fiscal and personnel records.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Master’s degree in student personnel, higher education, counseling, organizational behavior or similar field is required.
- Six years of relevant student affairs experience, including one year of progressive management responsibilities of a moderate-sized department or unit charged with carrying out cross-disciplinary student services tasks or functions and demonstrated experience in student conduct.
- Team oriented individual with excellent interpersonal skills and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to relate well to students, faculty, administrators and parents/guardians including, experience with managing sensitive student issues related to mental health, socioeconomic status, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills, including ability to identify and resolve complex or unusual administrative problems.
- Knowledge of UConn’s undergraduate programs and degree requirements; familiarity with Peoplesoft or with similar higher education systems.
- Familiarity with regional campus structure within large research institution and ability to navigate within a complex multi-campus university structure.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience with data analytics to evaluate effectiveness of programs and initiatives as it pertains to student success.
This is a full-time position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with successful candidates’ background and experience.