Senior Platform Engineer
In this critical role on our Platform Engineering (PE) team, you will design, develop, build, operate and maintain technology platforms across various CU Boulder departments. The Platform Engineering team has adopted an Agile methodology, involving each team member in problem identification, solution development and post-production support. This position will work closely and collaboratively as part of a team, while providing leadership, subject matter expertise and a willingness to share your knowledge and grow the breadth of your experience.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is a dynamic organization, filled with energetic staff and students who aim to serve the campus and contribute to student success while supporting the University’s academic, research and service missions. We’re located in the heart of the beautiful CU Boulder campus. See what OIT is all about by watching This is OIT .
Based on our departmental goals and our commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence, OIT particularly welcomes applications from candidates whose knowledge, skills, and abilities and desire to contribute to an inclusive campus environment will help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Support the delivery, use and continuous improvement of platform services in the organization.
- Design and build platform capabilities, incorporating necessary automations and configurations to ensure Agile delivery.
- Support application teams with design and practical processes to consume a scalable and extensible infrastructure platform, including governance and operational models.
- Design, develop, implement, and improve the CI/CD software pipeline to accelerate deployments, and improve security and auditability.
- Be a great collaborator and an engineering leader by performing code reviews, mentoring other team members, and sharing your work and ideas with others.
- Monitor application performance, designing and conducting platform and application tests and sharing metrics across the team.
- Participate in the development and communication of DevOps principles and activities.
- Troubleshoot development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms.
- Participate in high availability and disaster recovery testing.
- Create documentation to ensure seamless operation across the team and throughout OIT.
- Provide consistent daily operational support of client environments, including break/fix/add/change/delete and health monitoring services.
- Perform patching and upgrades during specific timeframes.
- Review and monitor daily health statistics and system performance, and take action to remediate during operational support hours.
What We Can Offer
- Base salary for the position is competitive and market-driven and will be commensurate with relevant background and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Engaged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field. A combination of education and/or relevant experience as described below may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- 4+ years of experience in building secure, scalable platforms. This experience should include:
- Infrastructure as a Service such as container orchestrations (Kubernetes is preferred),
- Infrastructure as Code (Terraform is preferred)
- Automation and DevOps.
What You Will Need
- Willingness to work as a member of a team with the ability to work independently to deliver real results.
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of students, faculty, researchers, and to yourself through your commitment to the learning environment.
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and a drive toward continuous improvement.
- The confidence to express your opinions and the humility to thoughtfully listen to others.
- Willingness to step outside of your "engineering comfort zone."
- Passion and enthusiasm about solving complex problems.
- A commitment to what is best for the team, the organization, and our customers.
What We Would Like You To Have
Knowledge, understanding and/or familiarity with:
- Source code control, such as GIT.
- Agile methodologies.
- Observability or monitoring/logging system.
Experience in the following areas/technologies:
- Application servers such as Tomcat or Apache.
- Public cloud services such as AWS, Azure and Google Cloud.
- Working on an Agile development team.
- Configuration management (preferably Ansible)
- Optimization and performance tuning.
- Service-based architecture
- API platform design, security practices and architectures
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by November 8, 2020 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder