Research Positions in the Center for Space and Atmospheric Research
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's (ERAU’s) Center for Space and Atmospheric Research (CSAR) at the Daytona Beach, Florida, Campus seeks to fill multiple positions engaging in basic scientific research on wave propagation and dynamics in the atmosphere and ionosphere, and development and applications of new high-resolution numerical models for atmospheric dynamics and multi-fluid ionospheric dynamics. These projects involve broad collaborations with multiple research groups internal and external to ERAU, including internationally. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education and scientific research, and candidates from populations traditionally underrepresented, as well as those committed to the success of those underrepresented, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Nominally, we seek to fill two positions, although more may be considered:
1) Research Assistant Professor, (~2-5 years post-PhD) with emphasis on nonlinear acoustic and acoustic-gravity wave propagation in atmospheres using numerical simulation, viz. atmospheric computational fluid dynamics (CFD); demonstrated experience in scientific communications (presentation, publication); numerical methods (finite volume or finite difference methods); signal and data processing (Fourier and wavelet analysis, filtering), with understanding of high performance computing environments and code development, programming in Fortran or C/C++, and data visualization in Matlab, Python, or Paraview/VTK. This project requires familiarity with direct simulation of the Navier-Stokes equations, ray-tracing, and nonlinear approximations for acoustic wave propagation. It requires ability and enthusiasm to work closely with a diverse team of collaborating students and postdocs.
2) Research Associate(s), (PhD) with emphasis on ionospheric or upper atmospheric physics and modeling, and/or generalized experience in application, modification, and development of large-scale numerical simulation codes (in Fortran 90 or later, and/or C/C++) for scientific applications (e.g., atmospheric models, CFD or multi-physics models). Experience with numerical methods commonly used in CFD and plasma simulation is required, or may be substituted with substantial experience (at a code level) in model mesh geometries, data structures, and data post-processing. This position values candidate experience in scientific communications (presentation, publication), ability to work with a large and diverse software development team, and familiarity with analyses of voluminous high-resolution model output using bespoke codes.
Responsibilities may include:
- Scientific research as pertinent to the project(s).
- Dissemination/publication of results in journals and in conferences.
- Assistance with mentoring of graduate students within the scope of the project, or as funded by CSAR.
PhD in Engineering, Physics, or related Science disciplines; ~0-10 years' experience post-PhD, depending on position; experience and expertise consistent with the Position Description requirements.
Application / Process:
Candidates must submit a CV and Cover Letter, and clearly indicate the position to which they are applying. Note that these require different experience and qualifications. Review of applicants will begin immediately. The position will be filled pending confirmed availability of support, for an initial term of one year; extensions or renewals are possible, contingent on performance and availability of funding. Due to the pandemic, these positions are eligible for (or may require) routine remote / off-campus work. Anticipated start dates are in January 2021.
Please direct any questions about these positions to Jonathan Snively ( email@example.com ) and/or Matthew Zettergren ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Daytona Beach
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Daytona Beach
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Daytona Beach
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Daytona Beach
- Physics & Space Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Daytona Beach