Biological Scientist I
Biological Scientist I
Conducts research to support the Citrus/Plant Pathology program at the Southwest Florida Research and Education Center located in Immokalee, FL. Will assist in one or more phases of the research process by performing a variety of technical duties in the laboratory, greenhouse and field. Responsibilities require driving a vehicle to different work sites. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing, maintaining and monitoring experimental trials in the laboratory, greenhouse and field; collecting experimental data such as plant pest and pathogen, plant health, plant growth, fruit yield, and fruit quality; collecting and preparing leaf, root, fruit, or other types of samples for laboratory analysis. Will occasionally apply pesticides.
- Conducting various standard and specialized laboratory procedures such as sample preparation and homogenization, pathogen isolation, DNA/RNA extraction/purification/quantification, gel electrophoresis, PCR and quantitative PCR, cloning, biological and enzymatic assays, culturing; maintaining specialized scientific or other equipment in and outside the laboratory; preparing microbiological media and chemical solutions; maintaining written and digital laboratory notebooks, maintaining laboratory in a way that work can be accomplished safely and efficiently.
- Recording, analyzing and summarizing data and preparing graphs and labels using standard or specialized software.
- Assisting in the preparation of written reports and publications and reviewing literature pertinent to the research area as deemed appropriate by the P.I.
- Assisting with any related duties required, including purchases of supplies and services, as determined by the P.I. May also be required to visit fields off-site which will require driving a University vehicle.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience
Bachelor's degree in biology or a closely related field. Must have a valid driver's license. Must have a Florida pesticide applicator license or the ability to get one within three months from date of hire.
- Hands-on appropriate experience or one or more years of specialized experience.
- Knowledge of the terminology, principles of plant pathology and/or biology
- Knowledge of agricultural production systems to include citrus and vegetables
- Knowledge of standard laboratory practices
- Skill in various standard laboratory procedures such as pipetting, sample homogenization, and DNR/RNA extraction, gel electrophoresis, bacteria/fungal culturing, maintaining detailed records from experiments
- Skill in various specialized laboratory practices such as Real Time, PCR ELISA, blotting and hybridization, next generation sequencing
- Ability to process large numbers of samples in an adequate time frame
- Ability to use computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and statistical analysis software such as R or SAS, bioinformatics tools
- Knowledge of principles of statistics and experimental design
- Ability to plan and coordinate research assignments effectively
- Ability to adhere to safe laboratory and other practices
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish an effective working relationship with others
- Ability to follow rules and regulations
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume, and copy of unofficial transcripts
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD-214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Health Assessment Required: Yes
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge