Research Computing Specialist
University Code 24244 University Title Senior Information Technology Systems Analyst 1 University Job Family Information Technology ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Local Working Title Research Computing Specialist Position Number 585270 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department School of Medicine Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
As part of School of Medicine Technology Services (SOMTech) team, the Research Computing Specialist is responsible for providing direct research computing support to faculty, physicians, researchers, staff and students in coordination with the Client Services team. This includes computing support for research projects requiring University or VCU Health resources, guiding researchers with the use of scientific software, providing various facets of research desktop and server support and promoting the use of HPC and cloud computing and efficient backup storage solutions.
Working directly with members of the SOM research community, this position will help customize scientific applications and computational workflows, contribute to an internal knowledge base, organize training sessions, and support the development of a research computing support infrastructure. This position will work closely with research faculty to document the interfaces, software and technical specifications for specialized research lab instruments, devices/equipment and their usage with desktop terminals. This Research Computing Specialist reports to the Assistant Dean in the execution of those solutions and will regularly report on metrics of success for the SOM research computing enterprise.
Minimum Hiring Standards
● Senior-level expertise with Linux, Mac and Windows systems and VMware virtualization environments, bash/shell scripting and automation.
● Strong technical background with ability to continually evaluate the needs of new and emerging challenges in a data-intensive, research computing environment
● Able to develop the appropriate, custom technical solutions and responses in collaboration with other IT colleagues.
● Ability to quickly analyze complex technical environments, summarize status-quo, and perform gap analysis with resolution proposals.
● Proven presentation and communication (written and oral) skills; able to communicate complex concepts to a diverse audience of faculty, staff, students, leaders and other stakeholders.
● Combination of patience, determination, and persistence to troubleshoot technical issues.
Preferred Hiring Standards
● Experience in collaborating with customers and developing strategic technology
roadmaps to solve critical pain points.
● Experience with industry standard technology frameworks and methods.
● Experience in an academic research environment
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $54,100 - $80,000 Application Process/Additional Information
Expected start date for this position will be January 2021.
Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F Job Open Date 10/22/2020 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Information Technology Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101301 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Describe your experience with supporting academic
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your expertise with Linux, Mac and Windows systems
and VMware virtualization environments, bash/shell scripting and
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your expectations and goals for this position if
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond