Medical Assistant, Curry Health Center Administration
Curry Health Center Administration invites applications for a Medical Assistant to join their team. The person assigned to this position is expected to help keep the medical clinic functioning efficiently and effectively by assisting and communicating with all medical personnel, patients and administration. The employee in this position is responsible for the flow of the clinic and works with the medical provider to ensure that this flow is smooth and without error.
Direct Patient Care includes:
- Collect pertinent information from clients in a variety of situations and respond in an appropriate professional manner
- Take and record vital signs
- Prepare patient for exam & procedures
- Assist health care providers with exams & procedures
- Explain exam/treatment procedures to patients
- Collect lab specimens as appropriate including specimen collection for COVID-19
- Instruct patients regarding referrals and follow-up appointments
- Representation of peer group at appropriate clinic meeting
This position requires the incumbent to develop a working knowledge of our inventory of instruments and coordinate getting them sharpened on a regular basis and ordering more as needed. Coordinate the scheduling of cleaning and autoclaving of the instruments on a daily basis. Runs the spore testing of the autoclave every week. You will also be responsible for developing the knowledge and understanding needed to monitor and maintain our inventory of supplies in Central Supply. As well as, become proficient CHC’s electronic health record system.
- Working knowledge of medical procedures and preparation needed for medical exams and procedures including:
- Taking vital signs (temp, pulse, respiration, blood pressure)
- Obtaining height/weight
- Knowledge of sterile technique
- Knowledge of common procedures
- Fitting orthopedic software
- Crutch fitting
- Minor dressing changes
- Performing ECGs
- Set up of and monitoring patients using a nebulizer
- Basic anatomy and physiology
- Accurately capture charges for supplies used
- Stock procedure and exam rooms
- Cleaning and sterilization of equipment
- Prepare exam room between patients
- Maintain the clinic’s medical equipment
- Ability to manage patient flow
- Ability to work within the electronic health record (EHR) including knowledge of medical charting via EHR
- Coordinate referral appointments for students.
- Return phone calls
- Listen and respond to patient needs and requests
- Understand privacy and confidentiality of patients per HIPAA (Health Information Privacy)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel, Word and Outlook
Minimum Required Experience
- Current national certification as a Certified Medical Assistant or a Registered Medical Assistant or an equivalent combination of education/work experience.
- Current Certification in CPR.
- Curry Health Center (CHC) strongly encourages all employees to be current with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommendations on immunizations for Health Care Workers (HCW). This will ensure a safe work environment for our employees as well as our patients. The employees who have not been vaccinated will not be able to work if an outbreak occurs.
About Curry Health Center and UM
Curry Health Center is the primary health care provider for the students of the University of Montana. We fulfill our campus role of promoting student success by:
- Providing direct health care to students
- Enhancing personal health and development
- Supporting the campus community through education and public health activities
- Providing a variety of learning opportunities for students
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Medical Assistant
Position Number: 113820
Department: Curry Health Center
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Academic Year (10 months/year, August through May). Days subject to change to Tuesday through Saturday in the event staffing needs change due to COVID. Reduced hours during winter and summer sessions, and does not work when school is not in session, i.e. spring break, winter holiday break, etc.
Salary: $14.34/hr –Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Thursday, November 5, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular