Director of Parking Services
Director of Parking Services
Sensitive Position Statement
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check. This is NOT a sensitive position.
Campus Security Authority
Campus Security Authority Statement
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority
Designated Personnel Statement
This position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.
Statement of Economic Interest
Statement of Economic Interest Statement
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.
Restricted Position Statement
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding. This is a restricted position.
Chief Objective of Position
Under the general direction of and in support of the Associate Vice President for Auxiliary Services, the Director of Parking Services is responsible for providing financial and operational leadership and expertise, ensuring compliance with appropriate and effective internal controls, as well as applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures for the University’s Parking Services. This includes but is not limited to monitoring budgets to maintain operations within assigned budgets, developing, implementing, and enforcing policies and procedures pertaining to the University’s Parking Services, coordinating outcomes assessments, as well as compiling a variety of associated reports for the Associate Vice President for Auxiliary Services.
With an enrollment of approximately 5,000 students, and approximately 4,000 parking spaces on campus, the Director of Parking Services oversees a budget of approximately $2 million, and directs a staff of three full-time classified personnel, one part-time hourly employee, and student assistant personnel.
The Director of Parking Services will be someone who works with strong commitments to professionalism, excellence in customer service, and a “Students First” philosophy and approach to work, as well as with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
● Provides support to the Associate Vice President for Auxiliary Services in directing Parking Services operations and works to assure high quality and excellence in these operations, based upon best practices in Parking Services operations within institutions of higher education across the nation.
● Works with the Associate Vice President for Auxiliary Services and/or others as designated by the Associate Vice President for Auxiliary Services in proposing and monitoring budgets including operating budgets, as well as budgets for capital improvement and renovation projects.
● Prepares, and/or reviews, and analyzes reports pertaining to the financial and operating performance of Parking Services including but not limited to, revenues and expenses, parking permit sales by type and authorized parking locations, citations data, etc.
● Provides management, training, and supervision of Parking Services personnel. Works to assure accuracy in all cash handling and record keeping within assigned areas of responsibility. Maintains accuracy of safe counts and maintains adequate controls over access to the Parking Services safe, as well as records storage locations. Performs other general business and operations support functions as assigned.
● Provides development, support, and monitoring of internal controls in the effective management of administrative/business processes of Parking Services operations, adheres to and maintains appropriate internal controls pertaining to, but not limited to, budgets and expenditures, adhering to applicable payroll and personnel policies and procedures, tracking of moveable property or equipment, maintaining appropriate controls regarding Banner system and parking management system access, maintains physical security of assigned building areas, assuring business use of University property, and follows appropriate procedures for termination clearance of any employees in assigned areas of supervision, terminating their employment from the University.
● Works to develop operational goals and metrics for effective measurement, monitoring, and accountability of accomplishments within Parking Services and provides associated reports to the Associate Vice President for Auxiliary Services
● Assists with the development, implementation, and reporting of outcomes assessments for Parking Services operations in accordance with schedules established by the University Assessment Office. Assists in formulating outcomes and related assessments targeted at operational improvements within Parking Services.
● Maintains familiarity with applicable laws, rules, and regulations of the federal government, the Commonwealth of Virginia, the University’s Board of Visitors, and of Christopher Newport University.
● Works with auditors and provides data to auditors as required for audits and prepares management responses to audit recommendations and findings for assigned areas of responsibility, for review and approval by the Associate Vice President for Auxiliary Services.
● Prepares written procedures and monitors work processes to assure compliance. Provides overall business, administrative, financial management, and operations support to the Associate Vice President for Auxiliary Services in directing the operations in Parking Services.
● Represents and promotes the interests of Auxiliary Services in various meetings and among a broad-based constituency. Serves on University Committees as assigned.
● Manages parking permit inventory including procurement and safekeeping of the same, as well as manages other procurement needs of Parking Services, including responsibilities for eVA orders and Small Purchase Credit Card acquisitions in accordance with established rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the University and Commonwealth of Virginia, as applicable.
● Manages and tracks revenues from parking permit sales and citations and ensures that associated deposits are completed in a timely manner.
● Provides administrative oversight and ensures that an appropriate vehicle inventory is maintained as well as that timely maintenance of the University’s fleet of owned and leased motor-pool vehicles is consistently provided for use by University faculty and staff for various business and athletics travel. Works to assure that vehicles provided through contract services provider(s) are available for use by University faculty and staff for various business and athletics travel.
● Working closely with staff in University Procurement Services, assists with development of and evaluation of responses to requests for proposals in assigned areas of responsibility.
● Develops and maintains positive and professional customer service and relations within the office/department, as well as with all constituencies to include students, faculty, employees/staff, and guests of the University. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect. Fully supports the “Students First” value at CNU.
● Facilitates communication to the Campus Community on matters pertaining to Parking Services and addresses customer service issues with students, faculty, staff, and visitors of the University, as well as maintains positive business relationships with vendors and contractors.
● Reviews and adjudicates appeals of parking citations.
● Works closely with other campus constituents in directing/coordinating parking support for a wide variety of special University events, including but not limited to Athletics events, Ferguson Center for the Arts events, Admission events, etc. Closely monitors University events calendars and maintains a related centralized calendar of events for which Parking Services support is necessary. Ensures that appropriate staff and/or contractor personnel are scheduled accordingly to provide the necessary support.
● This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to her or him to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
● Maintains lists of Parking Services staff members who are designated as Campus Security Authorities (CSAs), and works to ensure they maintain compliance with the associated annual training and reporting requirements of the Clery Act.
● This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
● This position is a “designated position” meaning this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.
● Safety issues are reviewed and communicated and goals are set to ensure safe and healthy workplace conditions targeted toward avoidance of and/or reductions in work related absences and assuring that any identified safety issues will be addressed promptly.
● Serves as contract administrator for contractual partner(s), as assigned.
● Maintains familiarity and/or compliance with procurement regulations of the Commonwealth of Virginia and Christopher Newport University, including the eVA system and Small Purchase Procurement Card requirements, as applicable.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required
● The ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with students, faculty, staff visitors, vendors, contractors and other University constituents with strong commitments to professionalism, excellence in customer service, and to a “Student’s First” philosophy and approach to work required.
● High levels of personal and professional integrity required.
● High levels of accuracy and attention to detail required.
● Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills, excellent verbal and written communications skills, the ability to function well with deadlines and to manage multiple priorities with competing timelines required.
● The ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and to work well under limited time constraints is required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred
● Knowledge and skills gained from progressively responsible positions and the ability to achieve success in maximizing effectiveness and efficiencies in managing fiscal and human resources, along with effective problem solving, and developing innovative improvements in business processes and services preferred.
● Proven skills in working well and getting along well with and getting along well with others in previous employment experiences are all preferred.
● Skills in negotiating and administering contracts, as well as knowledge and skills in developing performance metrics for Parking Services operations preferred.
● Knowledge and abilities to develop checklists, contractor performance evaluations, and/or other means of ensuring contractor compliance with terms and conditions of agreements preferred.
● Ability to learn to utilize and train others to utilize Events Management System software, Converge Virtual Merchant payment gateway software, new software systems as evolving and/or emerging innovations in technology occur that support and enhance Parking Services operations preferred.
● Knowledge, skills, and proficiency with Cardinal TicketTrac, T2, or similar parking management system software, Blackboard POS or other equivalent POS system software, Microsoft Excel, and other Microsoft Office suite software preferred.
● Familiarity with and knowledge and skills in work using the Banner system or similar system software preferred.
A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Management, or a closely related field; or a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Management, or a closely related field, with an equivalent combination of training and work experience that equates to an advanced degree required.
Training or professional development directly applicable to directing Parking Services operations in a college or university setting preferred.
Closely related Parking Services experience, or other applicable and transferable business/operations experience, with a proven record of success in leadership responsibilities in the management of Parking Services functions, or in closely equivalent business/operations required.
Progressively responsible experience in directing Parking Services operations, including contract administration and direct supervision of Parking Services staff in a college or university setting is strongly preferred. Previous experience in developing and evaluating requests for proposals and in developing metrics and/or outcomes assessments preferred.
This is an excellent career opportunity for candidates at a current or previous management level within Parking Services or a closely related field interested in stepping up to becoming a Director of Parking Services or for candidates at a commensurate level of responsibilities as Director of Parking Services in a college or university setting of similar size and scope, or in a closely related field with similar capacity of size and scope of responsibilities. Experience as described preferred.
Selected by The Princeton Review for The 386 Best Colleges: 2021 Edition, and highly ranked for its quality of life and innovative leadership, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience — great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. A “student-first, teaching-first” community, Christopher Newport is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. The University is located between Williamsburg and the Virginia beaches in Newport News, and enrolls 5,100 students. Academic programs encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University has a new and technologically advanced campus, has generated over 7,300 applications for a freshmen class of 1,155 and has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as fourth among public regional universities in the South and seventh among all regional universities in the South. In addition, Christopher Newport is ranked third among all public schools for having "the highest proportion of classes with fewer than 20 students.” Christopher Newport is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We seek exceptional and diverse candidates and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit http://www.cnu.edu.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application. Review of applications will begin November 29, 2020. Applications received after November 29, 2020, will be accepted but considered only if needed. Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
This is an excellent career opportunity for candidates at a previous management level within parking services or a closely related field in interested in an stepping up to becoming a director or for candidates at a commensurate level of responsibilities as director of parking services in a college or university setting of similar size and scope, or in a closely related field with similar capacity of size and scope of responsibilities.
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully
Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement: