We are encouraging applications for a Science Communicator who is responsible for working directly with scientists to interpret and translate complex scientific principles and research into compelling and accurate written material for broader audiences. In this role, you will have the primary responsibility for fulfilling JILA’s needs for scientific communication, to ensure its scientific research and achievements are disseminated to the largest audiences possible.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
JILA is a world-leading research institute in the physical sciences. Our scientists explore some of today's most challenging and fundamental scientific questions about the limits of quantum measurements and technologies, the design of precision optical and X-ray lasers, the fundamental principles underlying the interaction of light and matter, the role of quantum physics in chemistry and biology, and the processes that have governed the evolution of the Universe for nearly 14 billion years. https://jila.colorado.edu/
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Write 1-2 research highlights per month for an undergraduate STEM audience.
- Write news stories for the JILA website as needed.
- Manage JILA website content in collaboration with the JILA Web Developer.
- Manage JILA social media feeds and work with Communications Assistant to develop content.
- Teach science writing and narrative in science presentations workshops.
What You Should Know
Relocation not immediately necessary as the position will be remote work eligible for several months.
What We Can Offer
- Work directly with world-class scientists and trainees performing high impact research (three Nobel Physics Laureates since 2001).
- The salary range for this position is $52,000.00-$62,000.00, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Effective. Be Encouraged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, physical science, or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in communications.
- Demonstrated proficiency at taking complex scientific concepts and translating them for non-technical audiences in an accurate and engaging manner.
What You Will Need
- Experience and skill in writing clear, concise, high quality, evidence-based scientific communication materials.
- Client services oriented with good listening, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
- Highly-organized professional with integrity and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Experience managing content on social media platforms.
- Actively contribute to a positive and collaborative working environment.
- Embrace the diversity and inclusivity of JILA to maximize its success.
What We Would Like You To Have
- An advanced degree in Journalism, physical science, or related field is highly desired.
- Proven skill in video production and editing.
- Demonstrated skill in digital photography including both aesthetic sensibility and technical aptitude.
- Demonstrated experience with Adobe Suite.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A Resume/CV: Include a list with names/contact information for 3 references.
- A Cover Letter: Include a separate statement comparing your skills and experience to the “what you will need” and “what we would like you to have” sections of the job posting. Include substantive statements demonstrating how your work would advance diversity, inclusion and equity within JILA, along with other information relevant to the position.
- PDF Sample of Work: Three recent examples of scientific writing/communication combined into a single PDF.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder