CIRES/Space Weather Post Doctoral Researcher
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) encourages applications for a full-time PostDoctoral Researcher to contribute to the development of the ionosphere-thermosphere (I-T) modeling for space weather research! The position is passionate about the development of the coupled Whole Atmosphere Model and Ionosphere Plasmasphere Electrodynamics model (WAM-IPE) and to study the I-T responses to geomagnetic storm and lower atmosphere perturbations. The position will be based at CU Boulder.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
At CIRES, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and CU Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing the scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Upgrade the WAM and IPE codes and make them available for runs-on-demand.
- Establish the interface between Global MHD models and WAM-IPE to study storm-time responses.
- Own the efforts for model evaluation and validation.
- Develop a scientific visualization package and a user-friendly interface.
- Participate in other research activities associated with the WAM-IPE development.
- Present research results at scientific conferences and publish articles in scientific journals.
What You Should Know
Questions about the position may be directed to Tzu-Wei Fang, Hiring Supervisor: Tzu-Wei.Fang@noaa.gov .
What We Can Offer
We can offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Ambitious. Be Engaged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Ph.D. in Physics, Space Physics, Meteorology, Computer Sciences or related field is required.
- Applicants must have received their Ph.D. within the last 3 years. Applicants who are nearing completion of their Ph.D. degree can be considered.
- Proven understanding of weather and/or space weather
What You Will Need
- Understanding of validation and verification techniques for model performance assessment.
- Ability to work independently.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working with a variety of operating systems and environments including Windows and Linux.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience in development codes in FORTRAN.
- Proven understanding of Python, Shell script, and version control (e.g., Git, SVN).
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who will be willing to write a confidential Letter of Recommendation for you.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version (if applicable) as an optional attachment.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain posted until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Tzu-Wei Fang
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder