Visiting Assistant Professor of Education and Coordinator of Principal Academy
The Department of Education at North Central College invites applications for a Visiting Assistant/Associate Professor of Educational Leadership and Coordinator of our grant funded Principal Academy in the Educational Leadership program beginning January 1, 2021. This full-time position will serve half-time as Assistant/Associate Professor of Education and half-time as Coordinator of the Principal Academy.
In 2018, North Central was awarded a significant grant by the Kern Family Foundation to integrate initiatives in character development for school leaders, teachers, and others interested in cultures of character. The successful candidate will work with the Department Chair/Director of Education Graduate Studies to teach in the Master of Education in Educational Leadership program and help create a high-quality Principal Academy based in cultures of character. This is a unique opportunity to join a highly regarded program in educational leadership. (Note: this position does not contribute to nor affect standing with Illinois Teachers Retirement System.)
A terminal degree is strongly preferred. Applicants must demonstrate a history of recent success in school leadership along with dedication to teaching and scholarship. Illinois licensure and experience as a building principal is required.
North Central College values diversity and is committed to social justice, equity and inclusiveness. Experience working with diverse student populations and communities will be weighed in the candidate’s favor.
Select responsibilities include:
• Spearhead the development of a Principal Academy as defined by
the Kern Family Foundation grant to promote infusion of cultures of
character in PK-12 schools
• Teach assigned graduate courses in the Master of Education in Educational Leadership program
• Commit to professional development and review of resources related to character education and initiatives presented through association with the Kern Family Foundation and their network
• Work with program personnel to revise and refine content for the marketing and promotion of the Master of Education in Educational Leadership program and the newly designed Principal Academy
• Develop the Principal Academy application process to identify competencies in and commitment to cultures of character
• Facilitate the application, screening, and interviewing process for Principal Academy coaches and awardees
• Prepare onboarding for academy coaches, orienting them to expectations
• Identify speakers, content, and programming for launch of training sessions for coaches and interested administrators
• Monitor progress of coaching relationships and fulfillment of requirements
• Mentor coaches and provide professional development and resources to support efforts across educational communities
• Support development and assessment of mini-grant projects proposed by principals at the end of their first year in the academy
• Evaluate project efficacy and continual improvement to meet educational objectives
• Manage the tracking and collection of project outcomes and data on effectiveness and growth
• Lead planning for the Cultures of Character Principal Academy Annual Convening to launch in 2023
• Actively participate in other grant activities as needed
Founded in 1861, North Central College is a selective, comprehensive liberal arts institution of about 3000 students, located 28 miles west of Chicago in Naperville. The college is within walking distance of the Naperville Metra station and is next to downtown Naperville. The Naperville area is home to many excellent school districts and Naperville, IL has been ranked as one of the best places to live by Money Magazine. For more information, please visit: http://www.noctrl.edu. North Central College is an EEO Employer.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a one-page statement of teaching philosophy, and three letters of recommendation in an electronic format to https://northcentralcollege.peopleadmin.com/postings/7809 . For further information, please email Dr. Bruce Spitzer, Chair, Department of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin October 12, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.