CIRES/NOAA GSL AWIPS-2 Systems Engineer
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at CU Boulder collaborates with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) located at the Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL), Global Systems Laboratory (GSL) in Boulder, CO.
The Weather Information Systems Evolution (WISE) Section within GSL develops weather-related software, computer systems, and associated tools and applications used by numerous government agencies. WISE infuses sophisticated science and technology into innovative applications and systems for weather-related activities such as forecast operations, visualization, and decision support services. One realm WISE has a wealth of experience in is advancing the capabilities of the first and second generations of the Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS-1/AWIPS-2). It does this by crafting new dataset ingest and display plugins, decision-assistance tools, and product generation frameworks for clients in the United States and abroad.
To support our AWIPS development efforts, WISE is encouraging applications for an AWIPS-2 System Specialist to support various domestic and international agencies already using AWIPS technologies and those interested in adding AWIPS-2 technologies into their operations. The work includes integrating AWIPS technologies with cloud computing platforms and services.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
At CIRES, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and CU Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing the scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
Global Systems Laboratory website:
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Develop novel adaptations and configurations to the AWIPS-2 system to meet specific agency needs (i.e., ingest new datasets, build new plugins, establish hardware requirements, etc.)
- Assist local developers in managing their AWIPS-2 development environments and provide training/documentation to empower the agency to take a larger role in day-to-day system administration and troubleshooting
- Participate in international meetings and workshops (at least one trip to Taiwan a year will be required)
- Research innovative solutions to migrate, operate, and optimize components of AWIPS on cloud computing platforms.
What You Should Know
This position will be rostered in CIRES at CU Boulder but will be physically situated in the David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305. If you are the selected finalist you will be required to pass a federal laboratory background clearance for site access.
What We Can Offer
We can offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Adaptable. Be Excited. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- B.S. degree in a technical field relevant to the key activities.
- At least three years of experience managing an AWIPS-2 system.
- Pass a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI, federal background check).
What You Will Need
- Deep understanding of the AWIPS-2 system and the interactions between its core components (i.e., QPID, Postgres, PyPies, EDEX, CAVE, GFE, D2D)
- Experience in configuring the AWIPS-2 system to accept new data sets (e.g., local models, non-WSR-88D radar data, satellite data, non-standard international data sets), and exposure to the AWIPS-2 development environment framework and its peripheral software elements (i.e., Eclipse, git)
- Experience with installing AWIPS-2 software packages and upgrades
- An understanding of Java and python to facilitate in the development of software solutions
- Advanced communication skills to relate ideas and plans to domestic and international partners in an audience-appropriate manner
- Demonstrated reliability, self-motivation, and organization to handle evolving requirements and demands
- Excellent team skills and a solutions-oriented mindset to solve problems encountered by the broader development team in WISE and users of GSL AWIPS applications.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience writing reports and giving presentations to audiences with a variety of technical competencies
- Experience with National Weather Service operations at the local and national center level
- Experience with Docker and operating-system-level virtualization through container-based architectures
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV.
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who will be willing to write a confidential Letter of Recommendation for you.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version as an optional attachment (if applicable).
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Position will remain posted until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Sylvia Murphy
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder