Reporting to the Director of Learning Design & Development, in the Office of Digital & Extended Learning, a DXL Learning Designer actively leads the design and development aspects of online and blended courses, or other digital learning experiences. Learning Designers use sound instructional design principles, methods, and theories to create engaging and outcome-aligned learning activities and assessments. This position works closely with faculty or other subject-matter experts on multiple projects or initiatives concurrently. Come join an ambitious and inventive team to build meaningful, active learning offerings.
We at DXL extend learning beyond traditional boundaries for those seeking a degree or professional advancement. As part of our mission, we are engaged in: 1) The design and development of active learning opportunities that lead to increased learner access, success, and completion; 2) The administration of online, blended, evening, intensive, and other flexible degree and professional programs in collaboration with academic and other university partners; 3) The certification, evaluation and support of teaching in online or blended learning spaces; and 4) The incubation of new, innovative learning models, practices, and services. Visit https://dxl.dixie.edu/ for additional information.
Course Design and Development Projects (75%)
- Apply various instructional design theories, models, and principles to identify, design, develop, implement, and evaluate appropriate teaching and learning solutions delivered in a variety of modalities to be effective, efficient, and engaging.
- Collaborate with faculty or subject-matter experts to assess instructional needs, establish timelines for project completion and identify desired outcomes.
- Build courses in the university learning platform with the assistance of student technologists and other designers.
- Coordinate and meet with the project manager and other learning designers on standards, workflows, priorities, etc.
- Provide constructive feedback using the online & blended course design quality standards as part of course reviews for peer learning designers and faculty.
- Provide consultations with faculty and staff in the design and structure of instructional solutions for active and collaborative learning. Assist faculty and staff in learning about and integrating new learning technologies and pedagogies in courses.
- Keep abreast of current instructional design research, principles, strategies, and emerging technologies/applications to apply in course development techniques.
- Design and/or facilitate professional growth and learning opportunities to improve teaching and learning at DSU.
- Provide input and ideas in establishing division goals and future direction.
- Network across departments on campus to build bridges between DXL and the rest of the university.
- Participate in University committees and task forces as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree, and a minimum of 3 years of direct work experience in higher education, required. Master's degree in a related discipline, and up to 5 years of direct work experience in higher education, preferred.
- Knowledge of various instructional design theories, models, and instructional strategies.
- Analytical skills and the ability to synthesize information from a variety of sources.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Communicate clearly and respectfully with others.
- Work well on a team and independently.
- Organize priorities and complete tasks across several projects or initiatives concurrently.
- Write clear and measurable learning outcomes.
- Align assessments and instructional activities with learning outcomes.
- Think creatively about new opportunities, challenges, and problems.
- Learn and apply new technologies and pedagogies.
- Understanding about accessibility standards or universal design principles.
- Effectively design visual elements of web pages preferred.
- Solid understanding of HTML and CSS coding languages preferred.
- Proficiency with Adobe creative suite or similar preferred.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time professional staff (overtime-eligible) position. Annual salary of $50,000 - $55,000, depending on qualifications & experience. Desired start date of January 1, 2021. Excellent benefits package included (see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under "Benefits Summary" for more details).
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins November 5, 2020; position open until filled.Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information (including email) for three professional references electronically. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Arts Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Design & Graphic Arts Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George