Visiting Assistant Professor of Exercise Science
The Exercise Science and Sport Studies Department at the College
of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University invites applications
for a one-year, full-time term appointment as Visiting Assistant
Professor beginning August 2021.
The mission of the Exercise Science and Sport Studies Department is to prepare undergraduate students to become ethical, evidence-based, and client-centered exercise and health professionals equipped with the knowledge, skills, and values to enhance the health of individuals and society through physical activity, exercise, and sport. Small class sizes of 20-30 students and the Exercise Science and Sport Studies Department’s newly renovated teaching, laboratory, and student engagement spaces support our mission.
The Exercise Science and Sport Studies Department is a collegial and engaged team of three faculty members who are dedicated to creating an inclusive learning environment that fosters a climate of respect and excellence.
The College of Saint Benedict (CSB), a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John's University (SJU), a liberal arts college for men, are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota, surrounded by more than 3,000 acres of pristine forests, prairies, and lakes. The campuses are minutes away from St. Cloud, an increasingly diverse regional center with a population of over 100,000, and 70 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some CSB/SJU faculty and staff choose to reside locally, while others commute from the Twin Cities. Both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities offer a wide range of fine arts, cultural, dining, recreational, and sporting opportunities.
CSB/SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB/SJU. We welcome faculty who devote themselves with passion and integrity to their disciplines and to a transformative education of their students. Please view our brochure regarding Higher Education in the Catholic and Benedictine Tradition.
With a total enrollment of approximately 3,300 students, faculty members develop relationships with students in small classroom settings and have opportunities to work closely with students on research projects, experiential learning experiences, and study abroad programs. Recent initiatives to create a dynamic general education curriculum and to develop plans for a new teaching and learning center demonstrate strong institutional support for faculty development. For further information, see http://www.csbsju.edu.
Institutional Commitment to Diversity
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University believe that an excellent liberal arts education requires an understanding and appreciation of cultural difference. Please view our Institutional Statement on Diversity.
CSB/SJU offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program.
- Teach three undergraduate courses per semester, which will include Sport in a Diverse Society (EXHS 323), Sport Ethics (EXHS 390), Sport and Exercise Psychology (EXHS 324), and Research Methods (EXHS 301) or Introduction to Exercise and Health Science (EXHS 111). Several of these courses fulfill requirements in the Integrations Curriculum.
- Engage in department service and activities.
- The candidate may have the opportunity to collaborate with interdisciplinary programs, such as Asian Studies, Gender Studies, and Latino/Latin American Studies.
- ABD in an exercise science discipline such as Sport Sociology or Sport and Exercise Psychology, doctoral degree preferred
- Experience teaching in one or more college exercise science or related courses
- Demonstrated teaching effectiveness
- Ability and demonstrated plan to use active, student-centered teaching methods
- Commitment to inclusive teaching practices and to equity, inclusion, and diversity in working with students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to teach culture and social diversity courses in exercise science
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills
- Ph.D. or Ed.D.
- Experience teaching one or more of the following courses: sport sociology, sport and exercise psychology, sport ethics, or research methods
- Willingness to include classroom activities and assignments that emphasize the promotion of ethical decision making, empathy, and communication skills
To Apply online:
Visit http://employment.csbsju.edu Candidates are asked to complete the faculty application and to submit the following application materials:
- A letter of application which addresses how the applicant's education, teaching interests, and teaching and/or work experience meet the position qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- A statement of teaching philosophy, including how you will integrate diversity and support inclusion for all students in the classroom and use innovative/active teaching methods
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness, for example: student course surveys, examples of learning outcomes, peer or student testimonials, or other materials
- Unofficial copies of transcripts; official copy required upon hire
- Names and contact information of three professional references
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers.