Sr. Scrum Leader / Project Manager
In this challenging role as Senior Scrum Leader/Project Manager for multiple ongoing software projects within the Project Management Office (PMO), you will need to effectively and efficiently manage resources, deliverables, and tasks within OIT departments and for other departments that do not necessarily follow prescribed Agile software development life-cycles. You will need to fully understand PMI definitions and practices and effectively translate current projects to the Agile process while demonstrating flexibility, sound change management principles, and responsiveness in managing changes in scope, resources and timing. You will also need to practice vigilant oversight of resources and risks on each project.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is a dynamic organization, filled with energetic staff and students who aim to serve the campus and contribute to student success while supporting the University’s academic, research and service missions. We’re located in the heart of the beautiful CU Boulder campus. See what OIT is all about by watching our This is OIT video .
Based on our departmental goals and our commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence, OIT particularly welcomes applications from candidates whose knowledge, skills, and abilities and desire to contribute to an inclusive campus environment will help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Overall management of mission-critical OIT projects
- Coordinate efforts of project members to stay on schedule and accomplish defined objectives. Produce regular project reports including milestone status, risks, issues and concerns, and recommendations for action to remain on schedule.
- Anticipate issues and proactively develop contingency plans.
- Facilitate communication with project sponsors, stakeholders, team members, constituents, service and support personnel, and management by creating and executing a communication plan in coordination with the OIT Communications team.
- Conduct all Scrum meetings including sprint planning, daily standups, and retrospectives.
- Continuous management of active backlog.
- Write clear user stories and manage project storyboards.
- Calculate and communicate team velocity.
- Actively communicate and coordinate team needs, progress, and barriers with other OIT teams and managers.
- Mentor development team members on Scrum principles and best practices.
- Working with OIT supervisors and teams, bridge development team tools and processes with existing OIT operations, changes, release requirements and processes.
- Maintain projected release/deployment/implementation dates based on progress to date and best available resource and task estimates.
- Understand and complete the required project process steps and deliverables.
- Involve the service, support, and operations teams in projects as soon as possible to help ensure that project transitions are as smooth as possible.
- Deliver timely, accurate and detailed project status reports to OIT and project stakeholders.
- Update project status in TeamDynamix weekly.
- Attend and present project status in the biweekly OIT PMO Project Status Meetings.
- Identify, track, and manage project risks.
- Ensure that project issues and roadblocks are clearly identified, managed, and promptly escalated to OIT Management.
- Participate in department efforts to drive PMO process improvement.
What You Should Know
- For the near-term, this position will be 100% remote but requires someone able to work on Mountain Standard Time.
What We Can Offer
- Salary for this position is market-based, highly competitive and will be commensurate with background, education and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Strategic. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in a relevant field.
- A combination of education and relevant experience as described below may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- 5+ years of Scrum experience focused on managing software projects through the complete agile project life-cycle.
- 2+ years of general IT project management experience that includes each of the following:
- Managing IT projects through their entire life cycle, including successful completion and closeout.
- Managing multiple concurrent projects.
- Staffing and managing project resources in a weak matrix organization.
- Client and vendor management.
- Risk management and issues resolution.
What You Will Need
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge and expertise in the application of project management methodologies.
- Very strong interpersonal skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Scrum certification from a recognized provider.
- Track record of continued and recent education in Scrum – including training, and participation in conferences, user groups, podcasts, etc.
- Ability to setup and manage project user stories and tasks in JIRA.
- Experience managing information technology projects that produce enterprise class products and services, developed or deployed to the cloud.
- Knowledge of web usability and accessibility standards and best practices.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by November 1, 2020 for full consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu