Award Setup Accountant
The Campus Controller's Office (CCO) at CU Boulder encourages applications for an Award Setup Accountant ! This full-time position is located in the Research Financial Services (RFS) unit of the CCO. This position works closely with the Office of Contracts and Grants, RFS staff, principal investigators, campus departmental staff, and awarding agency personnel in the management of awards. Analysis of award budget and contract terms in order to determine and input accurate coding of the award for financial reporting purposes in the Projects Module of PeopleSoft. Assist in maintenance processing and monitoring of daily input to PeopleSoft.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
CCO maintains and supports the university's fiscal responsibility through accurate financial accounting and reporting and in compliance with laws, regulations, policies/procedures and contract requirements for sponsored projects. We provide oversight, assistance and training in financial stewardship for the Boulder campus.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Analyze contracts and accurately set up NEW awards in University Finance System, PeopleSoft. Determine required information to add to system and request set up for: new sponsors, new Principal Investigators and PIE codes, Federal Agencies. Request new cost share and PIE FOPPS.
- Determine proper GL account codes and $ amounts from budget(s) included with NEW awards. Enter budgets with proper account codes. Question and resolve any improper, vague or non-balancing budgets. Includes proper F&A calculation and appropriateness of items omitted. Resolve items with pre or post-award contacts in Office of Contracts and Grants.
- Verify budget data received for set-up in the University’s finance system. Work with the Contract Officers, Grant Officers, and senior personnel instructing them on actions vital to correct the submitted budget. Make corrections to budget submitted to RFS when adjustments are within parameters.
- Process mods and contracts in PS. Determine proper GL account codes and dollar amounts from Budget(s) included with MOD. Enter budgets with proper codes. Question any improper, vague or non-balancing budgets. Includes proper F&A calculation and appropriateness of items omitted. For $ transfers ensure that both + and (-) adjustments are made to different projects. Resolve items with pre or post-award contacts in Office of Contracts and Grants. Organization Changes are entered within the next deadline.
- Adjust projects’ budgets on large awards from NSF and the Department of Commerce. These single awards have a high number of associated projects and budget adjustments are needed so Grant Accountants can make draws to reimburse the University for expenditures.
- Process the records for projects that need their associated org number changed. The change is often prompted by personnel moving to new orgs or the creation of a new org. This process involves coordination with personnel in OUC and Research Financial Services cash application accountant.
- Exhibit flexibility, judgment, knowledge and motivation to successfully prioritize and resolve issues not specifically defined in this plan – i.e. creating and distributing reports monthly and special projects as assigned.
- Continue to document and update procedures handled by this position. Work on improving processes to eliminate duplication of effort and streamline documentation/information flow.
- Ensure that PS entries are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assist various RFS units in shifting workload and priorities.
- Provide customer support to campus department personnel regarding all aspects of sponsored projects set-up according to the new Uniform Guidance, University Policies, State and sponsor rules and regulations.
- Be mindful of and recommend opportunities for growth of self and/or unit.
- Provide recommendations for enhancements and assist with implementation of system upgrades and implementations.
- Provide training and guidance to RFS units and campus departmental personnel on finance system functionality.
- Work closely with RFS staff and campus department personnel on addressing issues and potential improvements to the finance system.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $52,000, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Professional level accounting, finance, or contract administration work experience may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
What You Will Need
- Attention to detail is vital in this position
- Analytical thinking along with the ability to question the logic of information
- Ability to prioritize, work independently and understand and apply policies and procedures
- Ability to learn and use new software systems
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with varying levels of authority
- Ability to enjoy a variety of challenging work
What We Would Like You To Have
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
- Work experience in a higher education environment is highly desirable
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel and familiarity/knowledge of Access
- Experience with a PeopleSoft financial system
- Prior experience in research and/or contract administration
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by November 10, 2020, for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder