Part-Time Instructor - Baking & Pastry Instructor
Posting Number: 06001793 Position Title: Part-Time Instructor - Baking & Pastry Instructor Posting Date: Closing Date: 06/30/2021 Open Until Filled (notes): Length of Position: Term to Term Anticipated Start Date:
Position Type/Employee Class: Part-Time Instructor FTE: Salary Level: Part Time Instructor Starting Pay Range $616 per load unit (1 LU ~= 1 class credit) as per PT Salary Schedule, Step 1 Hours per Week: Depending on class schedule Work Schedule: Varies per term Days of the Week: Varies per term Job Summary/Purpose:
To provide instruction in Baking and Pastry Arts courses including lecture and lab components. Part-time instructors facilitate student learning as it relates to established learning outcomes and conduct daily assessment of student performance in the classroom.
Terms of Employment:
• This is a part-time (< .50 FTE ) non-benefited position, hired on a term-by-term basis. Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments.
• Part-Time Faculty compensation begins at Step 1 / $616 per load unit (LU). Load Unit is equivalent to class credit; and shall include both teaching and other assignments.
• Part-Time Faculty positions are not represented by the Faculty Forum Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Initial assignment will be at the Bend Campus. May include travel throughout the College district.
• Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applicants anticipating Degree completion must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
• COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at the time their work is being performed.
• The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United States to be considered for this position.
• Upon hire, must pass criminal background check and/or driving history; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
1. Provide instruction in Baking and Pastry Arts courses. This includes lecturing and facilitating lab activities in the kitchen / dining room, and providing individual conference time to guide and evaluate student progress in specific coursework. Teaching assignments may include courses taught during the day and/or evening and weekends.
2. Collaborate with Cascade Culinary Institute instructional team and administrative team as it relates to both the short-term and long-term strategic planning for the Cascade Culinary Institute. To contribute towards curriculum development that supports high quality instruction. To also support the advancement of the Cascade Culinary Institute brand through industry engagement and community service learning opportunities.
3. Implement classroom management principles and grading procedures as directed by the Cascade Culinary Institute administrative team. Support retention and community engagement initiatives, and leverage COCC PT faculty training and resources on a consistent basis.
4. To utilize a diversity of delivery mediums (ie: video, lecture, demo, student presentations, etc) within the classroom to accommodate for a diversity of student learning styles, while also delivering courses within the pre-established scheduled class period.
5. Hold at least one hour of office time per class taught.
6. Perform other essential job functions as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
Marginal Job Functions
1. Cooperate with other College personnel while complying to institutional policies and procedures.
2. To assist students with career planning, job placement, and follow-up studies and act as a resource person for students.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Thorough knowledge and experience in Baking & Pastry.
2. Ability to adapt and use a variety of teaching and assessment techniques including the use of technology to enhance student success.
3. Ability to observe, direct, and oversee students ensuring safety in the classroom or laboratory.
4. Ability to work with and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of students with varying diverse backgrounds, abilities, and learning styles.
5. Ability to effectively use Microsoft office suite, various course management systems, technology to teach traditional, hybrid, or online courses and other technology used in the instruction setting.
6. Ability to teach at various hours and travel to Branch campus locations, as required.
7. Ability to foster a collaborative atmosphere among students and the willingness to work as a member of a team with faculty.
8. Excellent oral, written and electronic communication skills.
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements:
Work frequently involves unpleasant conditions such as general kitchen maintenance/cleaning, using irritating
chemicals, being exposed to temperature extremes within walk-in refrigerators/freezers, etc. The nature of the
position involves almost constant standing, walking, and occasional heavy lifting up to 50 pounds. The individual must reach, bend, stoop, crouch, and perform similar functions. The employee is required to meet physical and ergonomic requirements of the program area as this may vary from positions. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
It is the policy of Central Oregon Community College that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any of the classes protected under Federal and State statutes in any education program, activities, or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC’s Human Resources office, 541.383.7216.
In support of COCC’s EEO statement, employees with bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is considered a plus, along with experience working in a diverse multicultural setting.
Education: Requires professional training in the discipline in which you would provide instruction.
Experience: Requires a minimum of three years industry experience in Baking and Pastry Arts occupation.
Experience working effectively with diverse populations.
Computer Literacy: Training in, or experience with, email, internet, word processing, and spreadsheets (preferably experience with MS Office Suite Products).
Education: American Culinary Federation Certification
Experience: Teaching experience in postsecondary education
Certifications: ServSafe Certified and Oregon Food Handlers Permit
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the academic year to obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis. Positions may not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online application will remain active for consideration throughout the length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
COCC is not able to support work visas for this position. Candidates must be able to work in the United States at time of employment.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.
If you have letters of recommendation that are being sent directly to HR, please upload a Word document or PDF stating these documents are being sent to HR. This will act as a placeholder for your required documents and allow you to continue your application process and submit.
Is a Criminal History Check required? Yes Is a Credit History Check Required? No Open Until Filled Yes Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Choose your highest level of education:
- No High School Diploma or GED
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree in Progress
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree in Progress
- Masters Degree
- Ph.D. in Progress
- Other Doctorate Level Degree
- * How many years of COLLEGE LEVEL teaching experience do you
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3 years
- More than 3 years
- * COCC has campuses in Bend, Prineville, Redmond, and Madras.
Please indicate in which locations you are willing to teach.
(Open Ended Question)
- * COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at
the time their work is being performed. Are you, or will you be
residing in the state of Oregon by the start date of this position?
- * The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this
position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United
States to be considered for this position. Are you, or will you be
eligible to work in the US by the start date of the position?
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained
outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants
who do not meet minimum qualifications, but present other
qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be
considered and are encouraged to apply. There may be other
requirements where an equivalency is acceptable. Please be aware
that applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements and do not
provide an equivalency statement will not be selected for an
interview. Your statement should make clear the requirement you are
addressing. Example: The position requires a Master’s degree. You
have a Bachelor’s degree, additional applicable education, and work
experience that when combined you believe is equivalent to the
Master’s degree requirement. Please provide a clear statement why
you believe this combined education and experience is equivalent to
a Master’s degree.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you a U.S. military veteran? (COCC provides qualifying
veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. To
receive veterans preference in this recruitment process, you must
upload your DD214 or DD215 form as supporting documentation. You
will have the opportunity to upload the document in the next step
of this application process.)
- Yes, I am a veteran
- No, I am not a veteran
- * Background checks are required for all employees of COCC.
Should an offer of employment be made to you and accepted by you,
you will receive an email from COCC / HireRight Screening
requesting your consent and basic information to complete the
check. The offer of employment will be conditional upon
satisfactory completion of the criminal background check. Confirmed
findings on a criminal background check will not automatically
disqualify you from being hired into a position. Results are
evaluated on a case-by-case basis, considering the job
responsibilities and other risk factors. Additional information
regarding COCC’s criminal history check policy can be found online
in the General Procedures Manual, Section HR-2-1. Please indicate
here if you will provide consent to the criminal history check when
requested by the College:
- Yes, I will provide my consent when requested
- No, I will not provide my consent when requested
- * Please describe how you meet the requirement of having at
least three years of industry experience in a Baking and Pastry
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have an American Culinary Federation Certification?
- No, however I am willing to obtain certification
- * Do you have a ServSafe Certified and/or Oregon Food Handlers
- Cover Letter
- College Transcript 1 (unofficial)
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- College Transcript 2 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 3 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 4 (unofficial)
- US Military DD 214
- Other Document 1
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Other Document 4
- Other Document 5
- Teaching Philosophy/Evidence of Teaching Potential
- Placement File, if applicable