Part-Time Instructor - Culinary Arts (POOL)
Posting Number: 06001794 Position Title: Part-Time Instructor - Culinary Arts (POOL) Posting Date: Closing Date: 06/30/2021 Open Until Filled (notes): Length of Position: Term to Term Anticipated Start Date:
Position Type/Employee Class: Part-Time Instructor FTE: Salary Level: Part Time Instructor Starting Pay Range $616 per load unit (1 LU = 1 class credit) Hours per Week: Depending on class schedule Work Schedule: Varies per term Days of the Week: Varies per term Job Summary/Purpose:
To provide instruction in culinary courses including lecture and kitchen lab components.
Part-time instructors direct student discussion and evaluate student performance in the classroom.
Terms of Employment:
1.Part-time Faculty, < .5 FTE . This is a part-time position, hired on a term-by-term basis.
2.Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments.
3.Step 1, $616 per load unit.
4.Not represented by the Faculty Forum Collective Bargaining Agreement.
5.Initial assignment will be at the Bend Campus.
6.Official transcripts are required upon hire.
7.Applicants anticipating Degree completion must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
8.Upon hire, must pass criminal background check and/or driving history; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
9.May include travel throughout the College district.
1. Provide instruction in Culinary Arts courses. This includes lecturing and facilitating lab activities in the kitchen / dining room, and providing individual conference time to guide and evaluate student progress in specific coursework. Teaching assignments may include courses taught during the day and/or evening, and
2. Collaborate with Cascade Culinary Institute instructional team and administrative team as it relates to both
the short-term and long-term strategic planning for the Cascade Culinary Institute. To contribute towards curriculum development that supports high quality instruction. To also support the advancement of the Cascade Culinary Institute brand through industry engagement and community service learning
3. Implement classroom management principles and grading procedures as directed by the Cascade Culinary
Institute administrative team. Support retention and community engagement initiatives, and leverage COCC PT faculty training and resources on a consistent basis.
4. To utilize a diversity of delivery mediums (ie: video, lecture, demo, student presentations, etc) within the classroom to accommodate for a diversity of student learning styles, while also delivering courses within the pre-established scheduled class period.
5. Hold at least one hour of office time per class taught.
6. Perform other essential duties and tasks as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions
1. Cooperate with other College personnel while complying to institutional policies and procedures.
2. To assist students with career planning, job placement, and follow-up studies and act as a resource person for students.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Thorough knowledge in the field of culinary arts.
2. Ability to adapt and use a variety of teaching and assessment techniques including the use of technology to enhance student success.
3. Ability to observe, direct, and oversee students ensuring safety in the classroom or laboratory.
4. Ability to work with and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of students with varying diverse backgrounds, abilities, and learning styles.
5. Ability to effectively use Microsoft office suite, various course management systems, technology to teach traditional, hybrid, or online courses and other technology used in the instruction setting.
6. Ability to teach at various hours and travel to Branch campus locations, as required.
7. Ability to foster a collaborative atmosphere among students and the willingness to work as a member of a team with faculty.
8. Excellent oral, written and electronic communication skills.
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements:
Work frequently involves unpleasant conditions such as general kitchen maintenance/cleaning, using irritating chemicals, being exposed to temperature extremes within walk-in refrigerators/freezers, etc. The nature of the position involves almost constant standing, walking, and occasional heavy lifting up to 50 pounds. The individual must reach, bend, stoop, crouch, and perform similar functions. The employee is required to meet physical and ergonomic requirements of the program area as this may vary from positions. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
It is the policy of the Central Oregon Community College Board of Directors that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status or any other protected classes under Federal and State statutes in any educational programs, activities or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC’s Human Resources office, 541.383.7216.
In support of COCC’s EEO statement, employees with bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is a plus, along with experience working in a diverse multicultural setting.
Education: Requires professional training in the discipline in which you would provide instruction.
Experience: Requires a minimum of three years industry experience in culinary arts.
Computer Literacy: Training in, or experience with, email, internet, word processing, and spreadsheets
(preferably experience with MS Office Suite Products).
The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. To qualify under equivalency, applicants must indicate how they qualify under equivalency by responding to the supplemental question presented during the application process.
Education: American Culinary Federation Certification
Experience: Teaching experience in postsecondary education
Certifications: ServSafe Certified and Oregon Food Handlers Permit
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the academic year to obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis. Positions may not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online application will remain active for consideration throughout the length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.
If you have letters of recommendation that are being sent directly to HR, please upload a Word document or PDF stating these documents are being sent to HR. This will act as a placeholder for your required documents and allow you to continue your application process and submit.
Is a Criminal History Check required? Yes Is a Credit History Check Required? No Open Until Filled Yes Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained
outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants
who do not meet minimum qualifications, but present other
qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be
considered and are encouraged to apply. There may be other
requirements where an equivalency is acceptable. Please be aware
that applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements and do not
provide an equivalency statement will not be selected for an
interview. Your statement should make clear the requirement you are
addressing. Example: The position requires a Master’s degree. You
have a Bachelor’s degree and work experience when combined you feel
is equivalent to the degree requirement. Please make clear why you
feel it is equivalent.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of COLLEGE LEVEL teaching experience do you
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3 years
- More than 3 years
- * Are you a U.S. military veteran? (COCC provides qualifying
veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. To
receive veterans preference in this recruitment process, you must
upload your DD214 or DD215 form as supporting documentation. You
will have the opportunity to upload the document in the next step
of this application process.)
- Yes, I am a veteran
- No, I am not a veteran
- What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Other post graduate degree
- * Background checks are required for all employees of COCC.
Should an offer of employment be made to you and accepted by you,
you will receive an email from COCC / HireRight Screening
requesting your consent and basic information to complete the
check. The offer of employment will be conditional upon
satisfactory completion of the criminal background check. Confirmed
findings on a criminal background check will not automatically
disqualify you from being hired into a position. Results are
evaluated on a case-by-case basis, considering the job
responsibilities and other risk factors. Additional information
regarding COCC’s criminal history check policy can be found online
in the General Procedures Manual, Section HR-2-1. Please indicate
here if you will provide consent to the criminal history check when
requested by the College:
- Yes, I will provide my consent when requested
- No, I will not provide my consent when requested
- * COCC has campuses in Bend, Prineville, Redmond, and Madras.
Please indicate in which locations you are willing to teach.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe how you meet the minimum requirement of
having three years industry experience in culinary arts.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have an American Culinary Federation Certification?
- No, however I am willing to obtain certification
- * Do you have a ServSafe Certified and/or Oregon Food Handlers
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- College Transcript 1 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 2 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 3 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 4 (unofficial)
- US Military DD 214
- Other Document 1
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Other Document 4
- Other Document 5
- Teaching Philosophy/Evidence of Teaching Potential
- Placement File, if applicable