Customer Service Specialist 2 - Transitional Studies
Columbia Basin College ('CBC' or the 'College') seeks a Customer Service Specialist 2 (the 'Specialist') to provide high quality services and support to prospective and returning students in the Transitional Studies Department. The Specialist will work in an environment of teamwork and serve as a central point of contact for the Transitional Studies Department, handling routine inquiries, transactions and customer service problems. This position will interpret and apply knowledge of applicable policies and procedures in providing courteous and professional customer service. This position reports to the Director of Transitional Studies Operations.
This position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to applicants whose complete application has been received by October 29, 2020 @ 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
- Provide customer service via face-to-face, email and phone calls handling routine inquiries, transactions and customer service problems;
- Provide professional, courteous and empathetic student assistance in the Transitional Studies Department; assist students in navigating through the registration process; understand and explain placement scores and transcript evaluations;
- Assist in the accurate evaluation of transcripts for students seeking a high school diploma;
- Communicate policies and processes to prospective students and community members and assist with application processes as appropriate;
- Complete face-to-face intakes with new and returning students to discuss and assess student registration options and goals; provide accurate and timely information to students to assist in decision making;
- Enter and maintain accurate data on prospective students as they move through the intake, testing and registration process in division databases and spreadsheets;
- Accurately process incoming student forms, documents and other information necessary to complete transactions and processes;
- Assist students in understanding account balances, tuition payment obligations, options and deadlines; receive payment vouchers and waivers on behalf of the Business Office;
- Handle routine, cross-departmental student issues and work to facilitate resolution for students and departments within established guidelines; recognize when an issue should be referred outside of Transitional Studies and make an appropriate referral to facilitate continued problem-solving or assistance of student and department; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree or equivalent education from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Two (2) years of experience providing customer service; and
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Experience assisting non-native English speakers.
Skills & Abilities
Analytical Skills : Synthesize complex or diverse information; collect and research data; use intuition and experience to complement data; design work flows and procedures;
Computer Skills : High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Windows file management, and information databases, such as Student/Financial Aid/Financial Management Systems and National Student Loan Date System and EdExpress; operate personal computer with general understanding of application software; ability to learn office and College-specific software;
Customer Service Skills : Manage difficult or emotional customer situations; respond promptly to customer needs; solicit customer feedback to improve service; respond to requests for service and assistance; meet commitments;
Interpersonal Skills : Focus on solving conflict, not blaming; maintain confidentiality; listen to others without interrupting; keep emotions under control; remain open to others' ideas and try new things;
Leadership skills : Lead work sufficient to direct the work of others including temporary hourly employees, student workers and student ambassadors, or others to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, and proper procedures, while correcting errors or solving problems;
Oral Communication : Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification; respond well to questions; demonstrate group presentation skills; participate in meetings;
Professionalism : Ability to approach others in a tactful manner; react well under pressure; treat others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accept responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments;
Quality : Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; look for ways to improve and promote quality; apply feedback to improve performance; monitor own work to ensure quality;
Quantity : Meet productivity standards; complete work in timely manner; strive to increase productivity; work quickly;
Technical Skills : Assess own strengths and weaknesses; pursue training and development opportunities; strive to continuously build knowledge and skills; share expertise with others; and
Written Communication : Write clearly and informatively; edit work for spelling and grammar; vary writing style to meet needs; present numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is a twelve (12) month, full-time, overtime eligible represented classified staff position. The typical work hours for this position are Monday through Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., however, must be available to work a flexible schedule when prior notice is given by the College. This position is available immediately.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
**Please note that selected interview candidates will be subject to supplemental testing that will measure skills and abilities in the following areas: Typing, grammar and basic skills in Word and Excel.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
In the interest of providing a healthy, safe and secure educational and work environment, and in order to meet the requirements of federal legislation, it is the policy of Columbia Basin College to maintain an alcohol and drug-free workplace for our employees and students.
If you are hired, you will need to provide proof of identity and documentation of U.S. citizenship or appropriate authorization to work in this position as required by the Immigration Reform Control Act of 1986.
Columbia Basin College operates under an approved affirmative action plan and encourages applications from persons of color, women, veterans and persons of disability. The Human Resources Office is accessible to those with disabilities. If you need accommodation in application or employment, contact the Human Resources Office at (509) 542-4740.
OTHER JOB ELEMENTS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that must be met and may be encountered by an incumbent when performing the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, bend, kneel, stoop, communicate, reach and manipulate objects. The position requires mobility including having the ability to move materials on a regular basis such as files, books, office equipment, etc. Manual dexterity and coordination are required to operate equipment such as computer keyboard, calculator, and standard office equipment.
Usual office working conditions. The noise level in the work area is typical of most office environments with telephones, personal interruptions, and background noises.
This is a bargaining unit position represented by the Washington Public Employees Association (WPEA). Internal promotional, transfer and voluntary demotion applicants who have skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position will be considered prior to consideration of other applicants.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Pasco
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Pasco
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Pasco
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Pasco
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Pasco