Job ID: 221239
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Apprentice assists skilled workers in the performance of duties related to the electrical trade by performing routine and semi-skilled repair work with assistance of a skilled tradesman.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Perform basic lighting installations, runs new circuits, troubleshoots electrical problems and supports other shops in electrical tasks (i.e., plumbing, HVAC)
- Assist skilled workers in the performance of duties related to building maintenance trades, supply tools, equipment, and materials to skilled workers
- Operate trucks and other equipment required to complete tasks
- Keep daily log of time spent on each job and materials used
- Maintain, repair, and clean tools, equipment, assigned service vehicle, and work areas
- Follow all safety and other risk management policies in performance of work
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One (1 ) year of related work experience
- Two (2) or more years of electrical (commercial) experience
Required Documents to Attach
Please provide three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section on your application.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to operate a University vehicle
- Ability to obtain a low voltage license and related certification after apprenticeship
- Ability to use basic math skills daily
- Ability to analyze while multi-tasking
- Provide technical advice to non-technical and technical audiences
- Understanding of procedures and willingness to follow University policies to meet institutional goals
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Demonstrated collaborative problem-solving skills
- Attentive to detail
- Adept at testing, modifying and re-testing
- Willingness to learn
Apply Before Date
November 14, 2020
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at email@example.com.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Proof of valid driver's license upon hire and throughout employment
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Work performed in indoor and outdoor environments
- Able to maneuver items weighing up to 50 lbs. with or without reasonable accommodation
9920301 - Mechanical Maintenance
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=221239&PostingSeq=1