Associate Vice President, Institutional Equity
University Code 25634 University Title Assistant/ Associate Vice President for Institutional Equity University Job Family Legal, Audit & Compliance ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search National Working Title Associate Vice President, Institutional Equity Position Number 590860 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group Executive & Senior Level Leadership Department Equity And Access Services Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Virginia Commonwealth University seeks an Assistant/ Associate Vice President, Institutional Equity. Reporting to the Vice President of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness & Success ( IES ), the AVP will promote a climate of trust, honesty, and integrity where all people are valued, and where differences are recognized as an asset. The AVP’s role focuses on meeting and exceeding civil rights compliance standards, as well as ensuring all federal and state legal and regulatory requirements are fulfilled in a timely manner. They will provide broad leadership in the areas of Title IX, Accessibility and ADA Services, Equal Equity Opportunity, and Equity, and Data and Case Management. In addition, the role will lead reporting and data analysis functions.
Mission or Goal of Unit: The Office of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness and Success ( IES ) advances VCU’s commitment to fostering a more diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and work environment. From equal opportunity and affirmative action; to transformative success and inclusive excellence; IES delivers impactful and data-informed diversity and inclusion programs and strategies, promoting cultural competence, civil discourse and racial justice.
Chief Purpose: To support the Vice President of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness & Success ( IES ) in fulfilling the university’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and to actualizing these values. The role will fulfill critical leadership functions and will ensure the university’s proactive, compliant, and appropriate handling of civil rights-oriented issues. They will additionally coordinate essential reporting and data analysis functions.
- In partnership with the Vice President, provide broad leadership in the development and implementation of strategies intended to cultivate a diverse and inclusive environment for employees and students.
- Oversee civil rights and direct reporting areas to include the Title IX, Accessibility and ADA Services, Equal Employment Opportunity, and Equity, as well as Data and Case Management.
- Communicate with central offices and other schools, as well as external stakeholders, on the progress, efforts, programs, and achievements of the Office.
- Promote the educational mission and vision of the Office through communication efforts, collaboration with with aforementioned stakeholders, and other strategic initiatives.
- Ensure DEI -related issues and needs are addressed in a timely, confidential, appropriate, and professional manner.
- Provide supervisory oversight and support for the handling of sexual harassment and discrimination-related issues, to include investigations, responses, and resolutions.
- Lead those responsible for developing, monitoring, and reporting on affirmative action plans and for meeting OFCCP requirements.
- Champion a culture of accessibility and ensure the appropriate handling of disability related issues and requests.
- Coordinate in-office reporting and data analysis, in consultation with the Institutional Research and Decision Support office.
- Maintain responsibility for the institution’s compliance with civil rights policies and regulatory reporting requirements, including those at the institutional, state, and federal levels.
- Coordinate responses to complaints from enforcement agencies in collaboration with the Office of University Counsel.
- Work collaboratively to implement and guide strategic priorities.
- Serve as an inspiring manager to reporting staff; offer project oversight, mentoring, guidance, performance management, goal setting, and personnel support.
- Monitor and contribute to budgets.
- Represent the office and fulfill functions of the Vice President, as needed.
- Participate in committees and collaborative university initiatives that may intersect colleges, schools, student groups, and other administrative offices.
- As needed, usher the development of trainings, policies, and other interventions; guide the implementation of civil-rights oriented interventions.
- Collaborate with the Office of Audit and Compliance, Human Resources, the Division of Student Affairs, and University Counsel to provide workshops, trainings, and seminars to educate, update, and inform faculty, staff, and students in the areas of Title IX, equity and compliance, state and federal equal opportunity laws, rules and regulations.
- Position VCU as a DEI leader by exploring opportunities for growth and improvement and by shepherding change.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment and a commitment to doing so at VCU .
- Ability to effectively work and lead others in a predominately telework environment.
- Robust knowledge of laws and regulation surrounding disabilities and accommodations, equal employment, OFCCP compliance, affirmative action, and Title IX.
- Demonstrated experience in handling high level, sensitive, and confidential matters and information.
- Record of success in at least one position focal area.
- Exceptional listening skills.
- Demonstrated success in implementing business, strategic, and operational plans.
- Fiscal administration/ budgeting experience.
- Strong skills in the areas of problem solving, oral and written communications, strategic planning, analyzing statistical data, reporting, customer service, and emotional intelligence.
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A graduate degree.
- The ability to navigate difficult situations with grace and empathy.
- The ability to collaborate and to develop rapport with diverse groups of stakeholders.
- Three or more years’ experience as an effective supervisor.
- A strong commitment to ethics, to advancing institutional values, and to social justice.
- Ability to work successfully in both an in-person and remote environment.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- J.D. or Ph.D.
- Demonstrated experience fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion ( DEI ) in an academic setting
- Familiarity with in-house dashboards
- Experience working in a public institution
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range commensurate with experience Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Job Open Date 10/16/2020 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101188 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Institutional Research & Planning Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond