Associate Professor in Applied Mathematics, Department of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics
Associate Professor in Applied Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics in the College of Arts and Sciences invites applications for a tenured or tenure-track position at the rank of Associate Professor with research interests in Applied Mathematics, inclusive of Mathematical and Computational Biology. We seek outstanding applicants with a demonstrated track record of excellence in research and teaching. Successful candidates are expected to develop vigorous, extramurally funded research programs, actively participate in the Department's teaching and curriculum development at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and mentor undergraduate and graduate students. Evidence of interest and success in mentoring underrepresented minority students is highly desired.
Howard University, a culturally diverse, comprehensive, research intensive and historically Black private university, provides an educational experience of exceptional quality at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels to students of high academic standing and potential, with particular emphasis upon educational opportunities for Black students. Howard University is classified as a Doctoral University: Higher Research Activity research by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. It is a residential campus of approximately 10,000 students located in the heart of the nation’s capital, Washington, DC.
The Department of Mathematics currently consists of 40 faculty members, conducting pure and applied research with specializations in Algebra, Analysis, Applied Mathematics to include Mathematical Biology and Dynamical Systems, Combinatorics, Probability and Statistics, Geometry and Topology, Number Theory. It offers BS, MS, and PhD degrees in Mathematics.
- Earned doctorate in Applied Mathematics, with focus in Mathematical and Computational Biology, or closely related disciplines from an accredited institution;
- Research interests in computational and mathematical biology to include mathematical oncology, evolutionary biology; data science and machine/deep learning; statistical parameters estimation;
- Record of scholarship, teaching, and professional service commensurate with the rank of associate professor;
- Effective communication and organizational skills; and
- Evidence of successful grant writing experience.
Complete applications consist of a single PDF file containing
- Cover letter addressing qualifications listed above;
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Two-page statement of research accomplishments, interests and future plans;
- Two-page statement of teaching experience and philosophy; and
- Names and contact information for at least three references who will provide letters upon request from the search committee.
Completed applications should be addressed to the Chair of the Search Committee, Dr. Dennis Davenport, and submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Screening will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled, pending final budget approval. The desired starting date is no later than August 16, 2021. Additional details and information can be found at https://mathematics. howard.edu
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, marital status, religion, disability or protected veterans status. Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities or veterans status, Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at 202-806-1280.
Apply for Associate Professor in Applied Mathematics, Department of Mathematics
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.