Associate Professor of US History, Department of History
Department of History
The Department of History in the College of Arts and Sciences invites applications for an Associate Professor of US History, with particular research interests/field experience in Public History. We seek outstanding applicants with demonstrated excellence in research and teaching. Successful candidates are expected to: have a vigorous research agenda in their area of expertise; teach and advise students at all levels of the department's curriculum--including master's, doctoral, and undergraduate courses of interest to a wide range of students; mentor undergraduate and graduate students; engage in service activity; and solicit and win grants. Evidence of an active scholarly agenda in the field of United States History, ability to earn research support, and/or participation on nationally recognized projects are highly desired.
Howard University, a culturally diverse, comprehensive, research-oriented, historically Black private university, provides an educational experience of exceptional quality to students of high academic potential with particular emphasis upon the provision of educational opportunities to promising Black students. Howard University is classified as a Doctoral University by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. It is a residential campus of approximately 10,000 students, located in the heart of the nation’s capital, Washington, DC.
The Department of History currently consists eleven faculty members, conducting research with specialization in United States, Africa, African Diaspora, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Public History. It offers BA, MA, and PhD degrees in History with concentrations in the United States, Africa, African Diaspora, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Public History.
- Earned doctorate in History from an accredited institution by the starting date
- Distinguished record of scholarship, teaching, and professional service commensurate with the rank of Associate Professor
- Demonstrated capacity to work cross-departmentally and collaboratively linking centers for public history engagement
- Effective communication, organizational, management, andapplied historical analytical skills
Complete applications should consist of a single PDF containing:
- Cover letter addressing the qualifications for the position
- Current curriculum vita
- Two-page research statement
- Three samples of scholarly writing
- Two-page statement of demonstrated experience in United States History, Public History, and student internship supervision
- Names and contact information of at least three references who will provide letters upon request from the search committee
Completed applications should be addressed to the co-chair of the search committee: Dr. Elizabeth Clark-Lewis, and submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Screening will begin on November 3, 2020 and continue until the position is filled, pending final budget approval. The desired starting date is August 16, 2021. Additional details and information can be found at https://history.howard.edu/
Howard University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, marital status, religion, disability or protected veterans status. Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities or veterans status, Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at 202-806-1280.
Apply for Associate Professor of US History, Department of History
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- History Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.