Academic Advisor I
Academic Advisor I
Job ID: 221178
Location: Georgia Southern - Savannah
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Office of Pre-Professional Advisement. This Academic Advisor I serves as frontline contact for dual-enrolled, undergraduate, and post-baccalaureate students for developmental academic and professional graduate programs advising to drive engagement and empower students to achieve their goals. The pre-professional advisor builds formative relationships with students by interpreting information concerning course descriptions, program requirements, prerequisites, and application processes for the graduate professional program of their choice. Fulfills a vital role in maximizing students' persistence to graduation and then acceptance to professional programs. This position is located on the Savannah campus, but will serve students on the Savannah and Hinesville campuses
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Serve as an advisor to current students interested in pre-professional advising for Law.
- Support students in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals
- Identify current and potential challenges that may negatively impact student success
- Understand and abide by student privacy regulations such as FERPA
- May participate with Advisor II and Ill on special projects or tasks as assigned/approved by supervisor
- Assess academic level and respond to student academic inquiries
- Assist in resolution of individual academic problems
- Participate at New Student Orientation - including creating and giving presentations, advisement, registration, problem solving and course evaluations
- Process change of major requests; counsel student on major, course requirements; follow up to ensure assignment of advisor and major change in Banner
- Counsel student and assist with developing academic schedule in conjunction with students' primary Academic Advisor and make referrals to services offered on-campus
- Provide support to faculty mentors/advisors
- Create advising materials and checklist in consultation with appropriate academic units
- Assist with data collection, data entry, analyses and creation of statistical reports
- Assist with contacting students-includes scheduling appointments
- Notify students of meetings and special events by emails, flyers and phone calls
- Advise dual-enrolled, current, and post-baccalaureate students on academic requirements and extracurricular strategies for a competitive application to graduate health professions programs and law schools.
- Review professional school requirements and revise program requirements and advising strategies
- Represent department at recruitment and orientation events hosted by the Office of Admissions
- Aid in coordinating and executing information sessions, professional development workshops, and professional school site visits
- Develop marketing material for events and updates within the Pre-Professional Office
- Monitor student academic progress and make appropriate referrals to campus resources
- Use University systems to develop and maintain student records, files, and advisor notes
- Bachelor's degree
- One or more years of related work experience
Preferred Educational Qualifications
- Master's degree
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Navigate web access and email with or without reasonable accommodation
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Knowledge of resources available to students
- Knowledge of advisement theory and practices
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Demonstrate appropriate organizational skills as required for specific position
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational and human relations skills
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service-centered work ethic
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
Apply Before Date
November 5, 2020
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at email@example.com.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Work generally performed in office environment
- Travel required
- May be required to maneuver items weighing up to 25 pounds with or without accommodation
- Workweek occasionally extends beyond 40 hours to evenings and weekends
- Ability to drive University vehicles
Standard and Education
3900103102 - Pre-Med/Hlth Prof Advsemnt Ctr
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=221178&PostingSeq=1