Payroll Manager (Staff Associate)
Framingham State University is a vibrant comprehensive liberal arts institution located in the MetroWest suburbs of Boston, which integrates an academically challenging liberal arts education with workforce preparation programs. Founded in 1839, FSU enrolls about 4,000 undergraduates and 1,200 graduate and professional students. FSU offers 35 bachelor's degrees with 55 specialized concentrations, 63 minors, and 26 master's degree programs, in a highly personalized teaching environment. Our community takes pride in empowering student success by providing a superior education, leading research and innovation opportunities, and a strong first-year experience.
At FSU, we are deeply committed to inclusive excellence, encouraging a supportive, diverse and collaborative learning environment, and providing culturally relevant education. We are honored that our commitment earned FSU six Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Awards from INSIGHT Into Diversity and that we are the only public institution in Massachusetts recognized in 2018, 2019, and 2020. FSU is designated as an emerging Hispanic-Serving Institution by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities and also belongs to the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Inclusive Excellence community, providing national leadership in science education and exploring strategies that will lead to more inclusive science education. We encourage applications from those who share our commitment to promoting a diverse, welcoming, and inclusive community.
Our founding motto, LIVE TO THE TRUTH, was said at the end of each class by beloved first principal, Cyrus Peirce, who sought to discover and teach "truth in theory and principle...truth in spirit and motive...truth in manner and form...truth intellectual and truth moral." Principal Bagnall found this motto "speaks of sincerity of spirit...of intensity of effort, of resolution to succeed, of joy in achievement." LIVE TO THE TRUTH continues to guide our institution in practice and endeavor. If you share in this quest for truth and a commitment to living it fully, make the next chapter of your career the best chapter at Framingham State University.
Learn more about our career opportunities at www.framingham.edu/careers.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Responsible and accountable for ensuring accurate and timely processing and reconciliation of the entire University payroll (expenditures in excess of $60M). Ensure compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, collective bargaining agreement provisions, internal controls, and policies related to payroll using multiple internal and external systems.
Subordinate full-time and part-time employees and student workers.
Reports to the Director of Compensation and Payroll Administration
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the daily operations of payroll including all workflow, scheduling, disbursements, issue resolution, report generation, and validation/reconciliation of payroll data to auditing, accounting, and payroll specifications.
- Responsible for processing payroll and personnel actions for full-time and part-time employees and student employees (as needed) according to policies, procedures, and schedules set by the Office of the State Comptroller and the University using a variety of systems (self-service, manual entry, etc.) This includes processing and monitoring all payroll, overtime, personnel actions, benefits, retirement plan deductions, 457 and 403b deductions, tax reporting, leave of absences, leave accruals, payroll deductions, and other related information.
- Prepare reports, payroll projections and respond to inquiries from campus departments and other internal and external constituencies. (I.E. BOT Personnel Actions List, monthly union reports, cash requirements and funding levels, IPEDS, Health and Welfare reports/checks, etc.)
- Manage all operations related to self-service time and attendance functionality; train and update all users on related policies and procedures.
- Maintain the integrity of personnel and payroll data in all internal and external systems (i.e. Banner, HRCMS, LCM, MMARS, SSTA, CIW). Routinely audit employee information in systems and terminate records for former employees.
- Provide off-boarding information to all part-time employees (unemployment information, OBRA information, etc.)
- Manage calculations and implementation of salary and wage provisions of union contracts by working proactively with Academic Affairs, the Department of Higher Education, and other offices to collect necessary data and provide notice to employees.
- Process and reconcile payroll refund request vouchers, Dynacash advances, wage garnishments, employment verifications, retirement wage and leave verification forms, buy-back forms, and unemployment requests.
- Maintain proficiency in use of all Commonwealth and University applications and utilities as they relate to payroll system including but not limited to HRCMS, LCM, DocDirect, Information Warehouse, SSTA, and other applications as developed or released.
- Work with payroll and hr staff by providing leadership in recommending, developing, and implementing business systems, process improvements, and documents business processes.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate staff and student workers as assigned.
- Attend off campus meetings and training (i.e. payroll user group meetings and payroll/benefit summit meetings, etc.).
- Lead implementation on payroll and HR system upgrades and system changes (I.E. TCDs, MassHR, etc.).
- Assist in evaluation, development, documentation, and implementation of all applicable payroll related policies and procedures.
- Review, monitor, edit, and implement internal controls and sound business practices in all office financial and business processes.
- Responsible for retaining all payroll records in accordance with state and federal requirements and guidelines.
- Serve as back-up to the Payroll Coordinator and Director of Compensation and Payroll Administration as needed.
- Work collaboratively with the Onboarding, Benefits, and HR Training Specialist to ensure timely onboarding for new and rehired employees.
- Seek out and participate in professional development to continually augment knowledge in areas of responsibility.
- Serve as the contact person for employees and other constituents regarding payroll administration. Foster and develop an environment of quality customer service to ensure positive interactions with internal and external colleagues and customers. Respond quickly and accurately to all requests.
- Must be able to work some night, holiday, and weekend hours as required by job duties.
- Serve on various standing ad hoc committees and perform other duties and functions as assigned.
- Accountable for ensuring that affirmative action, equal opportunity, diversity, and antiracism are integrally tied to all actions and decisions in areas of responsibility.
- Other related duties or projects as assigned.
- Must be able to work independently and effectively manage a high volume of work while meeting critical deadlines.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks in a highly interactive environment while maintaining a customer service approach. Requires the ability to make decisions while exercising independent judgment and discretion on matters related to payroll administration.
- Must be able to work some nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting,
Finance, Human Resources, or related field.
- Bachelor's degree may be substituted by:
- An Associate's degree with a major in business administration, accounting or related field, plus 3 years of relevant work experience, or
- At least 8 years of progressive payroll experience processing complex payrolls.
- Bachelor's degree may be substituted by:
- Minimum of five years of payroll experience.
- Extensive financial system expertise dealing with data extraction, data processing, and query and report development.
- Proficiency with MS Office or similar software (strong expertise in Access and Excel preferred).
- Experience serving as a key staff member in a complex organization with a high volume of work.
- In depth knowledge of state and federal regulations related to payroll, wage and hour laws, and recordkeeping requirements.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills. Must be able to work well with a large employee population of diverse individuals and departments.
- Two years of supervisor or management experience preferred.
- Experience working in a payroll unit for the Commonwealth of MA and/or in higher education environment preferred.
- Experience interpreting complex policies and procedures and communicating such information to employees.
- Ability to handle confidential information with the utmost discretion.
- Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish or English and Portuguese are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, exempt, benefits-eligible, in the Association of Professional Administrators (APA) bargaining unit with a title of Associate Director. The salary range is $60,000 - $65,000.
Framingham State University conducts criminal history and sexual offender record checks on recommended finalists prior to final employment for all positions.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply online by submitting:
- Cover Letter,
- Equity and Inclusion Statement*,
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*The Equity and Inclusion Statement is an opportunity for candidates to discuss professional skills, experience and/or willingness to engage in activities that would enhance the university's efforts to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. Equity and inclusion statements will be considered as part of a transparent and comprehensive review of candidate application materials.
For full consideration, application materials must be received by October 31, 2020.
*An Equity and Inclusion Statement is a personal statement on a candidate's past efforts, as well as future plans, to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion. Regardless of personal demographic characteristics, FSU has a commitment to hiring candidates who share our commitment to the American Association of College and Universities (AAC&U) Inclusive Excellence Model. The equity and inclusion statement is an opportunity for candidates to discuss scholarship, professional skills, experience, and/or willingness to engage in activities that would enhance the university's efforts to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. Equity and inclusion statements will be considered as part of a transparent and comprehensive review of candidates' application materials.
Framingham State University only accepts application materials through our online application system. We are unable to accept application materials through mail, email, fax, or hand delivery. If you experience technical issues with the online application process, please submit a helpdesk ticket.
Framingham State University understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance, please contact the Human Resources Office at 508-626-4530 or firstname.lastname@example.org.