Framingham State University is a vibrant comprehensive liberal arts institution located in the MetroWest suburbs of Boston, which integrates an academically challenging liberal arts education with workforce preparation programs. Founded in 1839, FSU enrolls about 4,000 undergraduates and 1,200 graduate and professional students. FSU offers 35 bachelor's degrees with 55 specialized concentrations, 63 minors, and 26 master's degree programs, in a highly personalized teaching environment. Our community takes pride in empowering student success by providing a superior education, leading research and innovation opportunities, and a strong first-year experience.
At FSU, we are deeply committed to inclusive excellence, encouraging a supportive, diverse and collaborative learning environment, and providing culturally relevant education. We are honored that our commitment earned FSU six Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Awards from INSIGHT Into Diversity and that we are the only public institution in Massachusetts recognized in 2018, 2019, and 2020. FSU is designated as an emerging Hispanic-Serving Institution by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities and also belongs to the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Inclusive Excellence community, providing national leadership in science education and exploring strategies that will lead to more inclusive science education. We encourage applications from those who share our commitment to promoting a diverse, welcoming, and inclusive community.
Our founding motto, LIVE TO THE TRUTH, was said at the end of each class by beloved first principal, Cyrus Peirce, who sought to discover and teach "truth in theory and principle...truth in spirit and motive...truth in manner and form...truth intellectual and truth moral." Principal Bagnall found this motto "speaks of sincerity of spirit...of intensity of effort, of resolution to succeed, of joy in achievement." LIVE TO THE TRUTH continues to guide our institution in practice and endeavor. If you share in this quest for truth and a commitment to living it fully, make the next chapter of your career the best chapter at Framingham State University.
Learn more about our career opportunities at www.framingham.edu/careers.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
This position is part of a payroll team responsible for the full-range of payroll processing activities for the University; including collection and review of hire paperwork, approval of time and attendance data, processing payroll data, processing tax withholding, and other deductions, distributing pay, producing reports, and ensuring regulatory compliance.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Payroll Manager
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Possibly Student Workers
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for all aspects of processing student payroll including but not limited to:
- Collecting and reviewing hire paperwork, approval of time and attendance payroll data, processing tax, and other deductions.
- Managing the I-9 verification process for student employees, performs verifications, reviews forms for accuracy, and ensures compliance.
- Creates and produces reports and ensures compliance with all applicable federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Assist the Payroll Manager with the processing of staff and faculty payrolls, and special payments as assigned.
- Process all meal money payments and travel and expense reimbursements.
- Responsible for the accurate, timely, reconciliation of bi-weekly payroll expenditures for student payroll.
- Review all new hire and rehire paperwork and ensures appropriate approvals, completeness, and accuracy.
- Ensure payroll and timekeeping records are input correctly and accurately.
- Resolve payroll issues promptly and accurately.
- Communicate regularly with departmental hiring managers and employees regarding policies, procedures, and deadlines for student payroll and employment.
- Interpret pay and data related policies and ensure compliance with FSU policies, HR policies, and federal and state regulatory requirement and follow the University's internal controls.
- Provide summary reports to Payroll Manager of all student payrolls, overtime and travel and expense reimbursement.
- Run Payroll Reports from HR/CMS, Information Warehouse and Mobius View to ensure accuracy of the payroll.
- Complete employment verification requests and unemployment forms.
- Determine override fund changes for labor expenses and process in labor cost management system (LCM/MMARS-EPPAs) for entire payroll.
- Responsible for maintaining student personnel files in a confidential and secure manner in accordance with the Commonwealth of MA record retention guidelines.
- Administrative duties including, but not limited to, answering phones, taking message, responding to HR/Payroll questions, handling incoming and outgoing mail.
- Responsible for safeguarding employee's personally identifiable information (including social security numbers, bank account information, etc.).
- Handle confidential information with the utmost discretion.
- Provide superior customer services and exercise sound judgment and sensitivity in interacting with students, staff, faculty, and other internal and external stakeholders.Must be able to work well with a large numbers of diverse individuals and departments.
- Demonstrate ability to meet deadlines and manage time effectively with the highest degree of accuracy, while working in an environment with fluctuating priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Work extended hours including weekends and evenings upon request.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Work is performed in an office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to meet the physical demands of remaining at a desk/computer workstation for prolonged periods, using repetitive arm, hand and finger movements. Some stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching, lifting, walking, carrying or moving of objects and other movements may be required.
Minimum Qualifications at Hire:
Applicants must have at least (A) three years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in office management, office administration, business administration or business management, the major duties of which included one or more of the following functions: purchasing, personnel management, budgeting, accounting, records management, work simplification, grants management, contract administration or program management, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
An Associate's or higher degree with a major in business administration, business management or public administration may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required experience.*
An Associate's or higher degree with a major other than in business administration, business management or public administration may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
- Three to five years of payroll processing experience.
- Experience with ERP programs and payroll systems (Oracle, Banner, ADP or similar programs)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs or similar software.
- Experience processing employment eligibility verification form (I-9s)
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and have a strong working knowledge of payroll rules, regulations, and best practices.
- Excellent customer service, organizational, decision-making and time management skills, and an interest in continuous process improvement.
- Ability to trouble shoot and resolve complex problems
- Experience working in a high volume payroll office environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Must be organized, detail oriented, and possess a high degree of accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a productive and collaborative member of a team.
- Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish or English and Portuguese are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, benefits-eligible position in the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) bargaining unit with a title of Administrative Assistant II. The bi-weekly pay rate is $1,908.09 (grade 17, step 1).
Framingham State University conducts criminal history and sexual offender record checks on recommended finalists prior to final employment for all positions.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply online by submitting:
- Cover Letter,
- Equity and Inclusion Statement*,
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*The Equity and Inclusion Statement is an opportunity for candidates to discuss professional skills, experience and/or willingness to engage in activities that would enhance the university's efforts to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. Equity and inclusion statements will be considered as part of a transparent and comprehensive review of candidate application materials.
For full consideration, application materials must be received by November 6, 2020. However, the search committee may continue to review applications until the position is filled.
Framingham State University only accepts application materials through our online application system. We are unable to accept application materials through mail, email, fax, or hand delivery. If you experience technical issues with the online application process, please submit a helpdesk ticket.
Framingham State University understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance, please contact the Human Resources Office at 508-626-4530 or email@example.com.