Relief Boiler Operator/Mechanic
Relief Boiler Operator/Mechanic
Department: Mechanical Services and Central Heating
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Work Schedule: Rotating schedule
Employee Type: Service
Posting Date: $PostDate
Union Representation: SEIU
Posting Number: SS003P
Pay Rate: $25.47/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Relief Boiler Plant Operator/Mechanic is a full time position within Building and Grounds Services and is responsible for operating and maintaining our steam boilers and all associated auxiliary systems. The Relief Boiler Operator/Mechanic works independently and exercises judgment to perform all required operational maintenance and repairs to our central heating system which contains four, 750 HP fire tube boilers and 1100 HP water tube high pressure boiler, controls, supporting auxiliary equipment, and steam distribution systems; a 750 KW and a 250 KW steam turbine electric generators and associated electrical switchgear and supporting equipment. This position will perform other related duties as assigned.
Rotating schedule, days off varied and dependent on needs of the College.
- Must be familiar with equipment, and have mechanical and
electrical aptitude and demonstrate a working knowledge of the
nature of the duties associated with job description.
- Four (4) years of experience in all aspects of operation,
maintenance and repair of high pressure boilers and related
systems, equipment and controls is required.
- Ability to operate successfully all related test equipment and
able to read control prints.
- Must successfully complete the Job Skill Evaluation to begin
training in the position.
- Must have the ability to:
- Read and interpret written instructions, manufacturer’s
manuals, material safety data sheets (MSDS) and engineering
- Use personal protective equipment, such as safety harness,
eyeglasses, hardhat, and gloves;
- Lift and carry up to and including 80 pounds (steam traps,
heavy valves, motors, etc.);
- Demonstrate manual and physical dexterity;
- Work with hazardous and corrosive chemicals in small
- Use a computer and successfully navigate through various
- Maneuver in close quarters and climb stairs, ladders, and
catwalks on a regular basis; stand on concrete floors for long
periods of time;
- Work in extreme environments (cold, hot, humid and
- Work independently with minimal supervision;
- Identify hazards and report to appropriate
- Work in stressful situations;
- Use written logbooks, plant computer system, and maintenance
work order and supply systems and enter data into a computer system
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, including understanding, speaking, reading and writing.
- Attendance and performance will be considered. Willingness to work overtime as available. Must be able to work rotating shifts that include holidays and weekends. Overtime, including responding to after-hour and weekend emergencies, is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College Employment Application, including your complete work history and contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of attaching a resume and cover letter. Review of applications will begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845) 437-5820
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1568.