Senior Certified Nurse Midwife
Location: Harris Health System - Ben Taub Hospital.
Provides midwifery care to obstetrical and gynecological patients in accordance with approved midwifery protocols.
- Provides full scope, evidence-based midwifery care to obstetrical and gynecological patients in accordance with approved midwifery and perinatal guidelines. Provides care within approved credentialing.
- Manages prenatal patients throughout the course of pregnancy with traditional prenatal care and CenteringPregnancy(R) group prenatal care.
- Performs triage for pregnant patients with problems or in need of labor evaluation from midwifery clinic sites and others as assigned.
- Manages normal labor and attends delivery. Manages third stage of labor. Perineal/vaginal repairs as needed. Throughout, provides comprehensive ongoing assessment of maternal, fetal, and newborn status.
- Identifies deviations from normal, develops plan of care, consults and refers as appropriate. Provides support to the family, includes them in the process and supports breast feeding.
- Manages postpartum course, including maternal assessment, breast feeding support, referrals as needed and establishes follow up plan.
- Identifies, manages and consults with physician faculty for obstetrically significant deviations and emergencies.
- Maintains accurate and complete patient records.
- Completes all charts according to Harris Health guidelines including chart completion, review of diagnostic tests, and communication with the patient. Review of diagnostic/laboratory tests must be accomplished within a reasonable amount of time.
- Prescribes medications as appropriate according to guidelines within the delegated prescriptive authority. Maintains documentation of chart review and communication with delegating physician as delineated in the Delegated Prescriptive Authority Texas state requirements.
- Utilizes E-prescribe as much as possible.
- Participates in midwifery QA/QI activities, CNM meetings, clinic and Centering meetings, and other meetings/activities as requested.
- Assumes responsibility for all mandatory training/licensure/and certifications.
- Education Required: Bachelor's or Master's degree in Midwifery or Nursing or related field.
- Experience Required: Two years of relevant work in full-scope midwifery.
- Certification/Licenses/Registration Required: Current licensing as a Registered Nurse and status as an Advanced Practice Nurse/Nurse-midwife by the Texas State Board of Nurse-Examiners. Current certification by the American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB).
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Physical Risks: Potential exposures to blood borne pathogens (blood &/or other potentially infectious materials), drugs, chemicals, radiation, and physical hazards found in patient clinics, hospitals and/or laboratory work environments and in working directly with patients and other employees. Initial Blood borne Pathogens Training is required, and a Blood borne Pathogens Refresher Training must be taken annually.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.