Ophthalmic Technician I
The Department of Ophthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine has an opening for an Ophthalmic Technician at their medical center location, Alkek Eye Center. The Alkek Eye Center is located within the Lee and Joe Jamail Specialty Care Center building situated on the McNair campus. It is a large, high volume clinical practice offering all eye services from licensed Optometrists and Ophthalmologists in all ophthalmic sub-specialties.
The Ophthalmic Technician is a technical position that will work closely with the physicians, medical staff and patients and assist in optimizing clinical flow by completing patient work-ups and diagnostic tests. Individuals must be able to multi-task in a fast paced, high volume medical environment. An ideal candidate's skill set should include, but is not limited to visual acuity, distance and near, refracting, applanation tonometry, pupil exam, and confrontation visual fields, ancillary testing is a plus.
- Obtains patients' past and family history.
- Documents visual acuity; records spectacle data.
- Screens ocular motility and assesses pupillary response.
- Performs a variety of ophthalmic diagnostic tests.
- Instills eye drops and ointment in patient's eyes.
- Checks refraction for glasses.
- Answers phone messages and patient questions.
- Prepares and maintains patient rooms in clinic.
- Schedules patient appointments and prepares patient charts.
- High school diploma or GED.
- No experience required.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.