Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology is a Laboratory Assistant to work in the laboratory of Dr. Benjamin Frankfort who specializes in Glaucoma. The primary purpose of the Laboratory Assistant is to perform simple research duties under close supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI) in a controlled laboratory setting. This position requires the use of minor skills and technical knowledge to follow clearly established procedures and guideline. The ideal candidate will be someone currently completing a degree or interested in entering a career in research. This lab studies retinal biology. Position will be exposed to techniques related to retinal dissection, retinal histology, mouse vision testing, and retinal cell culture.
This position is an outstanding opportunity for career development for those interested in biomedical research and/or future advanced degree training in the biomedical sciences or medicine.
The Laboratory Assistant will work closely with the PI and other laboratory staff. Duties may include, but are not limited to cleaning the laboratory equipment such as metal instruments, sinks, and tables; retrieves, washes, dries, sterilizes, and redistributes laboratory glassware; operates autoclave and dishwasher; may prepare simple stains, solutions, and culture media following established formulas and procedures; may process and sterilize slides, yellow tips, pipettes, Pasteur pipettes, and centrifuge bottles.
- Maintains clean and sterilized laboratory equipment such as instrumentation, tables, other items.
- Retrieves and sterilizes and redistributes glassware and other instrumentation used in the laboratory setting. This duty includes successfully operating the autoclave.
- Prepares work areas with required supplies.
- Maintains inventory of items used in the laboratory to ensure ample supplies are available.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Six months of relevant experience.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston