Financial and Business Analyst II
The University of Colorado Boulder welcomes applications for a Finance and Budget Analyst II. This position is responsible for a wide range of activities that support the financial oversight and business activities of the departments within the Division of Student Affairs. The analyst acts as an agent for Division departments through technical and educational financial support related to financial research and business operational improvement; customized and standardized financial reporting and analysis; accounting practices such as recording journal entries and providing data reconciliation; leading monthly and quarterly financial results meetings; and financial process outreach and education. This requires a high level of familiarity with Division operations and personnel, and experience with university financial procedures, regulations, and systems. The analyst can effectively plan, coordinate and prioritize work; evaluate information to determine compliance with University policy; connect with partners in a clear and concise manner; and pay attention to details while managing multiple projects and work tasks. The analyst performs the assigned duties with ongoing supervision and guidance for moderately sophisticated departments within our division.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Division of Student Affairs values the diverse backgrounds, histories, identities and life experiences of every member of our community. We strive toward inclusive excellence in making our policies, processes, and actions socially just and equitable. We celebrate and embrace differences. We are committed to welcoming and including diverse groups and perspectives in building a climate in which all members can thrive in an environment where they feel at home, welcome and safe.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Financial Support to Assigned Departments
- Produce timely standardized financial reporting and conducts monthly or quarterly financial results meetings.
- Interpret business needs to provide customized or ad hoc financial management reporting.
- Build month-end and fiscal year-end close journal entries, and other financial system tasks.
- Maintain current policy and procedure documents for financial processes.
- Lead Annual Budget process by crafting trend analysis and facilitating meetings with units.
- Support departments by maintaining the integrity of financial and management source system data through identification of problem areas using exception reporting as well as knowledge of business and financial processes.
- Provide outreach to include training for financial and business tools to ensure reports provide pertinent information for effective decision-making.
- Support the Division budget and financial management and reporting processes by identifying areas of fiscal policy confusion and incorporating relevant education in meetings.
- Serve as a liaison with Campus Controller’s Office to interpret, apply, and communicate policy. Provide proactive outreach outlining what is required to meet all financial target dates.
- Regular review of system controller, Campus Controller’s Office, Budget & Fiscal Planning and Procurement Service Center newsletters, policy and procedure updates, etc. to ensure ongoing knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to provide consistent support for housing units.
Business Process Improvement and Controls
- Assist in development of sophisticated financial and operational reports through end-to-end source system process flow knowledge. This project will involve collaboration multiple Departments across the Division.
- Provide support for business operational improvement initiatives by identifying process inputs, dependencies and outputs, developing process maps, establishing internal controls and ensuring consistency with project and business objectives. This may also include partnership on software or system upgrades or new implementation, including recommending and evaluating proposed solutions.
- Represent the Division at meetings and on committees as requested.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned including providing support for organization and personnel changes.
What We Can Offer
Anticipated Salary Range is $55,000 - $60,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, business administration or closely related field and 1 year of experience.
- Experience with customized and standardized financial reporting and analysis, technical support in the form of finance system journal entries and account reconciliation, financial research, regular financial results meetings and presentations, and business process analysis.
What You Will Need
- Proven track record effectively presenting verbally and in writing utilizing informal and formal communication.
- Proven analytical skills including using computer office products and software used in financial analysis, gathering data, and preparation of high quality reports.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience in the public sector or higher education environment involving multiple funds.
- Experience with ad hoc query and reporting.
- Experience with PeopleSoft and COGNOs.
- Financial analysis and reporting experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by October 29th, 2020 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu