Associate Director of Fiscal & Tax Compliance, Human Resource Services
Human Resource Services at the University of Montana invites applications for an Associate Director of Fiscal and Tax Compliance to join their team. This position will oversee accounting payroll functions for the University of Montana campuses and affiliated campuses (Montana Tech, University of Montana Western, and Helena College). The Associate Director of Fiscal and Tax Compliance provides responsible oversight for a variety of compliance issues regarding federal and state regulations as they apply to personal and business taxation, employment, and accounting. This position covers payroll, including tax compliance and deposits, and Federal and State(s) reporting on both a regular and annual basis. Processing of vendor payments and tax compliance/reporting all take place in the Missoula office for all campuses. A minimum of 52 payrolls are processed annually with approximately 11,000 W2s being completed annually. During the 2019 calendar year, $201,716,890 in wages were paid plus $71,547,389 in employer-paid benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for making mandatory tax deposits accurately and on time
- This requires experience in the preparation of tax deposits and knowledge and working experience with varying IRS and State rules applying to payroll and fringe benefits
- Quarterly and annual reporting for Federal and State agencies, including W2s, 1095s, 1042s, W2Gs, 941, 945, 1094, and related state reports
- Develop, implement, and ensure adherence to (1) generally accepted accounting principles and practices (GAAP); (2) IRS regulations regarding fringe benefit identification and taxation and designing and implementing systems to capture this data on campus
- Develop tax agreements with other cities, counties, and state agencies for employees not working in Montana
- Data entry, summary of data, processing, and verification of data from the Banner HR Module into the Finance Module
- Data maintenance - Identify, analyze, and correct data errors
- Prepare specialized reports for UM and Affiliate users, regulatory agencies, and third parties
- Use of Access or SQL to prepare ad hoc reports for users as well as data review
- Approve, review and process manual checks for: EFT rejects, retroactive wage payments, and wage adjustments
- Setting up deductions and payroll adjustments
- Preparation of fiscal year-end transaction entries, footnotes, and accruals/deferrals
- Create edits to ensure the accurate transmittal of data from the Banner HR module to various external modules
- Ensure all withheld liability amounts promptly transmit to the correct payroll vendors and creditors
- Reconciliation of 100 different payroll liability accounts, ensuring all accounts are clearing as appropriate
- Ensuring UM and Affiliates comply with USCIS requirements for Employment Eligibility requirements through I-9 verification and E-Verify requirements
- Prepare retirement/pension footnote and leave liability report for financial statements
- Provide ideas for enhanced usage of the Banner HR module and provide testing of changes
- Review of foreign national withholding compliance and tax reporting requirements
- Active participation in accounting and budget analysis of payroll data including encumbrance data
- Supervise two 1.0 FTE classified staff members - Payroll Accountant & Payroll/Benefits Technician
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- High level of responsibility in all areas of the position
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state regulations governing payroll administration, including the ability to learn state payroll regulations for multiple states
- Advanced payroll experience including processing withheld taxes on a next day deposit cycle; compliance with various required and optional retirement options; compliance with multiple union requirements’, processing and reconciling self-funded worker’s compensation and health insurance pools; and processing garnishments, child support orders, tax levies, and wage assignments according to external regulations
- Accounting experience with complete processing and reconciliation of payments to internal and external vendors
- Understanding and experience in the preparation of tax deposits
- Demonstrated experience with quarterly and annual reporting for Federal and State agencies, including W2s, 1095s, 1042s, W2Gs, 941, 945, 1094, and related state reports
- Knowledge and working experience with payroll regulations of the IRS
- Advanced understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and audit practices
- Ability to read, comprehend, and interpret complex federal and state regulations and apply them appropriately and consistently
- Demonstrated responsibility for complex, regulated, and time-sensitive functions
- Advanced analytical abilities
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Ability to use computer technology, web applications, and related software with the ability to learn new software
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and skills
- Advanced oral, written, and presentation communication skills
- Ability to quickly develop and maintain interpersonal relations with a diverse array of individuals within and outside of the university
- Ability to meet and work under pressure of constant deadlines and conflicting priorities
- Advanced problem-solving skills
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Montana University System Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $70,000 – 80,000 per year commensurate with qualifications
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and five (5) years of related experience in a large payroll environment with a high level of responsibility; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with SQL or Access
- Experience with governmental accounting
- Banner experience
About the Human Resource Services and UM
The Human Resource Services Team partners with the University of Montana (UM) community and affiliated campuses by providing solutions and services to support the success of the UM mission.
Nestled in at the base of Mount Sentinel and on the banks of the Clark Fork River, UM campus is described as one of the most beautiful in the US. The region boasts unparalleled year-round recreational opportunities and a vibrant arts and culture community. UM offers a unique opportunity for professional growth in a magnificent environment. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
UM provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. Located in the heart of western Montana’s stunning natural landscape, UM attracts first-rate teachers, researchers, and students from around the world. A city within a city – with its own eateries, stores, medical facilities, banking, and postal services, and zip code – UM has an increasingly diverse population and rich culture.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in an alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday , November 22, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner