Linux Systems Administrator, Information Technology
The Information Technology department at the University of Montana invites applications for a Linux Systems Administrator (Computer Software Engineer/Sys I) to join their team on campus. Reporting to the Executive Director of Cyber-Infrastructure in Central IT, this position is primarily responsible for the research, design, implementation and daily maintenance of systems that support core university business systems and services.
The services and the systems that UM IT supports include, but are not limited to the Banner Information Systems, the enterprise backup systems, identity management systems, data warehouse services and web technology services. This individual assigned to this position must be able to work with confidential materials and must be able to work without supervision and as part of a team. This position requires an excellent knowledge of Linux systems management and best practices. A strong working knowledge of backup and recovery practices is desired.
The primary job responsibilities for this position include:
- Linux system administration: RHEL or CentOS required; Ubuntu, FreeBSD preferred
- Responsible for the support of storage, backup and recovery systems and services used to protect critical university services
- Manages the enterprise backup solution for the enterprise systems (CommVault)
- Ensures optimal performance and availability of production systems
- Responsible for daily operations and support of the university’s content management system
- Engage in a positive manner with clients to provide high quality customer service
- Work directly with IT leadership to establish appropriate information management policies to satisfy developing Information Technology “compliance” requirements by recommending standards, best practices, and guidelines
- Provide technical assistance to UM IT Security Officer in investigations of possible data security violations and compromises as needed
- Serves as backup for the other UM IT Linux and/or Windows system administrators as needed
- Provide timely resolution to Linux, Apache, Tomcat related incidents and problems
- Builds and maintains thorough documentation for system builds, configurations, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of operating systems and servers including RHEL, CentOS, and Windows.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and customer service
- Proven experience with LAMP administration
- Demonstrates a knowledge of local area network administration, fibre, and working knowledge of TCP/IP, DHCP, and DNS
- Experience with system monitoring and monitoring tools
- Demonstrated a proficiency to work with other Linux and Windows Servers administrators
- Demonstrated a proficiency to learn and adapt in rapidly changing environment
- Proficiency in maintaining legacy hardware and software
- High degree of initiative and ability to work with little supervision
- Experience working with Storage Area Networks (SAN)
- Experience with enterprise backup solutions
- Experience with virtualization and working with virtualized servers
- Exceptional thorough quality customer service to clients
- Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products as required
- Ability to lead and motivate cross-functional and interdisciplinary teams to achieve strategic goals
- Familiarity with project management methodologies, change management processes, and ITIL methodologies
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field or equivalent experience plus three years of Linux systems administration experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Work experience with CentOS, Ubuntu, FreeBSD
- Familiarity with configuration management systems, such as Puppet or Ansible
- Experience with administering, managing, and maintaining online cloud services such as Office 365, Azure, Amazon AWS, etc.
- RHCE Certification
- ITIL Foundation Certification
- Other industry certifications (MCSE, VMware, AWS, etc.)
About the Information Technology department and UM
Information Technology (IT) reports to the President of The University of Montana. IT is a campus service organization that provides computing and communication resources in support of the instructional, research, administrative, and public service activities of The University of Montana. IT maintains and operates complex information systems to support the University's administrative activities and offers a variety of technology support services to assist the University in using the resources and services that IT is responsible for providing.
The Cyberinfrastructure Group within Central IT is responsible for IT facilities, enterprise systems, research computing, cloud services, classroom technology, central authentication, directory and email services, campus network infrastructure, telephone system and UM's network connectivity across Montana.
The Systems Engineers Group within the Cyberinfrastructure team is committed to delivering reliable, responsive, robust enterprise systems and services that meet the diverse information technology needs of the Montana University System in a customer centric environment.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and has a student body of approximately 10,000 undergraduates and graduates, including more than 1,500 students of color and more than 900 international students and scholars from more than 70 countries. We encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disability preference in accordance with state law.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Computer Software Engineer Systems I
Position Number: 479990
Department: Information Technology
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year. Position requires an alternative work schedule as incumbent may need to be available outside normal work hours and weekends.
Salary: $27.630 - $33.309/hr –Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, November 15, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular