Instructional Assistant - Welding
Antelope Valley College
Instructional Assistant - Welding
Salary: $4,133.39 Monthly
Deadline: 10/30/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Complete job description and application available online at: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/avc/jobs/2860447/instructional-assistant-welding-re-advertised?page=4&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Under the direction of the Dean of Technical Education, control parts, tools and supplies in an assigned instructional lab involving automotive, auto body, air conditioning, and/or welding, assist students in a lab setting with technical instructions on the safe use of power equipment and hand tools. Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
E = indicates essential duties of the position
• Assists students in classroom lecture and lab activities, answer questions and assist with project and worksheets, instruct students in the use of tools, equipment, and safety practices. (E)
• Assists in the administration and grading of projects; assists in the preparation of exam, projects, and worksheets. (E)
• Issues, collect, and inventories tools and supplies; requisition replacements as required; operate and perform preventative maintenance and repair of tools, aircraft and equipment. (E)
• Update and maintain records of attendance and grades according to established procedures. (E)
• Fabricate and construct lab work areas such as paint booths. (E)
• Assists in recruiting students during outreach functions. (E)
• Maintain lab computers current with required data.
• Check out and retrieve tools from students; clean tools, labs, and equipment. (E)
• Assist students in the labs as per Instructors instructions.
• Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination equivalent to:
• college level course work in assigned area of specialty and
• one year experience (in area of specialty) checking out or working with automotive, auto body, machine shop, air conditioning, and/or welding, tools, parts and equipment.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS: (Must be able to obtain within first 90 days of employment)
• Valid California driver's license.
• Valid forklift operator's certificate.
• Inventory methods, procedures and record-keeping.
• Operation, uses, care, calibration, repair and maintenance of auto body, air conditioning, welding and machine shop tools, parts and equipment.
• Basic record-keeping techniques.
• Technical aspects of field of specialty.
• Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
• Basic computer operation.
• Issue proper tools, materials and equipment needed by students and instructors.
• Maintain security and records for tool room area.
• Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with students and instructors.
• Perform basic repair and maintenance of department tools, materials, parts and equipment.
• Maintain accurate inventory and repair records.
• Operate a computer terminal to input and retrieve data.
• Make less complex repairs to electrical equipment.
• Read and write at the level required for successful job performance.
WORK DIRECTION, LEAD AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Not applicable – no permanent full-time staff to supervise.
CONTACTS: Co-workers, instructors, students, vendors.
• Lifting and carrying heavy equipment.
• Pushing and pulling.
• Bending at the waist.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate equipment.
• Reaching to demonstrate repair techniques.
• Standing for extended periods of time.
• Shop environment.
• Noise and fumes.
• Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
• Working around and with machinery having moving parts.
• Exposure to fumes and gases from vehicle operation and exposure to fluids treated as hazardous waste.
For a complete listing and details of all open positions and how to apply, select the HR & Employment link on the AVC Web site at https://www.avc.edu/administration/hr/employment or contact the Human Resources Office at (661) 722-6311; Voice/Relay, (661) 722-6300 x. 6360, 3041 West Avenue K, Lancaster, CA 93536.