Professional Fee Coder II
The PBS Coding department is looking for an experienced mid-level coder to review and abstract CPT, ICD-10 and HCPCS coding for physician services. Our coders assist in maximizing the revenue by completely capturing and accurately documenting physician, professional, and departmental charges to ensure submission of clean insurance claims, as well as accurate patient statements. They apply correct coding guidelines to patient charge encounter, while assuring timely turnaround of charges. This position is responsible for accurately reviewing physician and outpatient facility coding through Epic and Optum Claims Manager. The PBS coding department is responsible for capturing the revenue for all physician specialties at Baylor College of Medicine as well as outpatient facility charges at McNair Cancer Center. We focus on providing accurate and compliant coding assistance by coders who are certified and up-to-date on coding rules and regulations. The successful candidate will have good organizational, communication and critical thinking skills, and work well with little direct supervision.
This position is located at Greenway Plaza with opportunities to telecommute.
- Review and accurately resolve NCCI, LCD, NCD, and MUE edits as well as other payer specific coding edits.
- Assign appropriate modifiers to charges for clean claim submission.
- Utilize the encoder to review and/or assign ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS Level II codes on charges.
- Accurately abstract from medical records all CPT, ICD-10 and HCPCS codes for procedures and surgeries.
- Audit physician assigned evaluation and management CPT codes for accuracy and documentation compliance.
- Review coding denials and resolve issues in conjunction with the collections team.
- Participate in physician education regarding coding and billing topics.
- Keep abreast of changes to ICD_10, CPT and HCPCS coding and communicate changes with providers and management.
- Provide training to entry level coders in coding and working Epic edits.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Three years of relevant experience.
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC).
- Associate degree or certificate from an accredited program in Health Information Management.
- Three (3) to Six (6) months of coding training which includes but not limited to medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology, and disease process.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Epic EHR and Citrix portal.
- Communications and writing experience.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.