Assistant Professor of Rhetoric & Composition
The Department of Humanities and Communication at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, in Prescott, AZ is seeking applicants for a 9-month, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Rhetoric and Composition.
The successful candidate will teach a 4/4 load of undergraduate courses, including first-year writing, introductory rhetoric, and introductory humanities courses with the potential to develop new courses.
The successful candidate will be expected to support the department, college, and campus through service as well as cultivate and maintain a research agenda in the candidate's area of expertise. The candidate should be willing to participate in the department's development of certificates and programs, as well as on-going programmatic assessment efforts.
Successful candidates will join a diverse department with colleagues whose scholarship reaches across a wide range of specializations, including technical writing, writing program administration, rhetorical theory, media literacies, environmental literacy, social justice, cultural rhetoric, health communication, and experiential learning.
Embry-Riddle is a small, private, residential university in the mountains of Arizona where faculty/student interaction is highly valued and is a central theme of the campus. The Department of Humanities and Communication offers a range of general education courses and a Humanities minor. We collaborate closely with other departments and programs to support the University's core curriculum and STEM-related missions.
Prescott is rated as one of the desirable destinations in the Southwest. At 5000 ft. above sea level, Prescott boasts a mild climate, clean air, and pristine wilderness areas as well as national forests close by. Prescott is 100 miles north of Phoenix and 120 miles south of the Grand Canyon.
ERAU benefits include:
- Relocation support provided
- Retirement Plan - ERAU offers immediate vesting and provides a 6% gift and will match up to 3.5% of employee contributions
- Two BC/BS health plans – PPO and high deductible plan with a health savings account
- Tuition waivers for employees, spouses, and dependent children will cover one undergraduate and graduate degree per person
- Use of various campus services: fitness center, library, mail room and enjoy observation flights
An earned Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition or a related field at the time of the appointment, August 15, 2021.
The candidate must have experience teaching writing courses at the college level as well as evidence of scholarship and an interest in professional development.
- Research agenda that is reflected in conference presentations and publications in the field of Rhetoric and Composition or Writing Studies
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness that takes advantage of diverse learning strategies and technologies to enhance student learning
- Experience teaching introductory writing courses that emphasize public engagement or experiential learning
- Experience in participating in programmatic assessment and curriculum design for first-year writing and humanities courses; implementation of assessment-based programmatic improvements
To ensure full consideration, please apply online at careers.erau.edu by uploading 1) a letter of application, 2) a CV, and 3) the names and contact information of three professional references. Review of applications will begin on November 15 and will continue until the position is filled. Only electronic applications will be considered.
Questions may be addressed to the search committee chair, Richard Mangum, Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org