Chief Financial Officer
The University of Michigan-Dearborn, a comprehensive university ranked as the 4th top public regional university (US News and World Report) in the midwest, offers the internationally recognized Michigan degrees rooted in a commitment to serve and impact southeast Michigan.
The university seeks a dynamic and visionary leader to serve as Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs (VCBA) who acts as the Chief Financial Officer with an annual total budget of approximately $197M.
With an enrollment of just under 8,800 undergraduate and graduate students, UM-Dearborn is an inclusive, student-focused institution distinguished by its commitment to excellence in teaching, learning, research and scholarship, as well as access, and affordability. Reporting to the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor will be a key member of the university’s senior leadership team, working to develop and implement an integrated and robust administrative support structure, business plan and budget model positioning the university for long-term growth and future success.
Job Description and Key Responsibilities:
The Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs is responsible for business and financial operations at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. The Vice Chancellor will provide leadership and strategic oversight of budget development, financial services, facilities and operations, procurement and contracts and human resources. The role also has campus level responsibility for police and public safety and emergency management. This individual will work to help the chancellor realize his agenda for the campus and will partner with him to work collaboratively with the Provost and other senior academic and administrative leaders to implement and assist in the development of strategic goals and objectives that advance the University of Michigan-Dearborn's mission.
The VCBA will play an important role in several key initiatives: our new strategic plan, and a Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) plan being developed in partnership with our Vice Provost for Enrollment Management and a cross-campus team. The VCBA will also implement a new financial model, based on an appropriately designed Responsibility Centered Management (RCM), and will be responsible for aligning fiscal systems and resources to best support the University’s strategic needs.
- On all matters related to the University of Michigan-Dearborn’s finances and budget, serve as chief advisor to the Chancellor and as directed liaison to University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
- Develop, implement and maintain transformative and comprehensive business plan development and financial planning functions that align with the University’s strategy and mission.
- Oversee all aspects of the budgeting and planning process, for a budget of $197 million, including the implementation of a Responsibility Centered Management (RCM) budget model, ensuring financial decisions align with the University’s goals, including but not limited to Strategic Enrollment Management and Return on Investment Strategies. Improve financial competencies throughout campus, including designing training programs, including designing training programs, to ensure clear understanding of the new zero based budgeting methodology. Drive recommendations for strategic resource allocations, as well as adjustments in response to changes in revenue, both current and projected through a quantitative and data-driven focus. Provide leadership and guidance to the 108 staff in business affairs
The Ideal Candidate will bring:
Ability to drive broad outcomes-based
strategic initiatives while overseeing day-to-day management and
Demonstrated experience utilizing
data and analytics to inform decision making, goal setting, and
Ability to help shape the creation of
the university’s administrative support structure and strategy with
vision and creativity.
An entrepreneurial outlook and eye to
new possibilities and emerging challenges.
An ability to foster a positive
working environment, build and motivate a team and to inspire
commitment and dedication to one’s work; focusing on positive
leadership qualities and values will be key to success in this
Effectiveness and expertise in organizational change management
Strong understanding of current
national and global best practices and trends in the management of
business and fiscal matters within higher education.
Demonstrated capacity to conduct
strategic planning, build consensus, determine institutional
readiness for change and act decisively in plan
Ability to develop and clearly
communicate institutional strategies, key measures of institutional
success and accountabilities to both internal and external
Respect for the value of each
person’s contributions to a team, as well as a demonstrated
commitment to enhancing diversity and inclusion.
Experience with data driven and
informed decision making in a complex high paced environment.
Ability to produce forward-looking,
transparent strategic plans and budgets that link expenditures to
A bachelor’s degree in business,
accounting and/or finance or related field.
Minimum of 6-10 years of
progressively responsible leadership experience in a complex
organization with strong financial/budgetary acumen.
Significant financial and budget
management experience in a leadership role.
Expertise in contract negotiation,
financial reporting, organizational analysis and strategic
Significant leadership skills.
Strong verbal and written
Adherence to the philosophy of
“mission first, people always.”
Intelligence, kindness, compassion,
courage, humor and unquestionable integrity and moral character; an
individual whom the institution and community can trust completely
and without reservation.
Experience working with deans or
other academic leaders to enact change.
Experience leading facilities, human
resources, and/or public safety functions.
An advanced degree in a relevant
The University of Michigan-Dearborn provides a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, tuition support, and retirement contributions. More information is available at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness .
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Dearborn
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Dearborn
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Dearborn