Assistant/Associate Professor of Communication Studies
Northwest University is seeking an Assistant/Associate Professor in Communication Studies with expertise in strategic communication, public relations, persuasive messaging, or a closely related field (ABD considered). The candidate must be an energetic, enthusiastic teacher/scholar who is committed to helping students achieve their academic and career goals. The applicant will teach courses such as public relations, organizational communication, introduction to human communication, and speech communication (dependent on individual qualifications). This position will have partial responsibility for the online Communication Studies degree, so experience with online teaching, administrative tasks, navigating issues, and overseeing curriculum is advantageous. The successful candidate will join a program with concentrations in media, human communication, strategic communication, and dramatic studies. Demonstrated experience in project-based learning is highly valued in candidates seeking this position, along with previous experience with or interest in the Public Relations Student Society of America.
Candidates must possess a meaningful commitment to Jesus Christ, the church, and the Gospel. We are seeking someone with a winsome, encouraging and culturally engaged faith. Candidates with experience mentoring diverse students, including those from underrepresented backgrounds, are preferred.
Application review will begin December 1, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled. Initial interviews will begin in January-February 2021. Members of underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.Essential Functions
- Teach courses in the Communication Studies curriculum (24 credits a year), on campus and online.
- Advise undergraduate students.
- Work with the program chair and dean to revise communication curriculum as needed.
- Develop new courses as needed in candidate’s area of research and teaching.
- Participate in the governance functions of the university as assigned.
- Engage in scholarship alongside his/her teaching, related to his/her field of communication.
- Ph.D. in Communication Studies or a closely related field (advanced ABD will be considered).
- Undergraduate-level teaching experience, with documentation of success in teaching, advising, and mentoring relationships; experience teaching online is a plus.
- A collegial orientation and a willingness to work collaboratively with other disciplines and departments.
- A commitment to teaching excellence in an undergraduate, liberal arts program.
- A demonstrated, vibrant evangelical faith compatible with the mission of Northwest University and the Assemblies of God.
- Willingness to apply a faith-based worldview to course design, instruction, and advising.
Dependent on education and experience and based upon the established faculty salary schedule starting at the assistant/associate professor rank.Application Requirements
For full consideration, please submit the following:
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae (including a list of courses taught)
- Teaching portfolio
- A list of three professional references with e-mail and phone contact information
- A statement explaining how the candidate’s Christian faith shapes his or her approach to the field of communication studies
- A brief narrative describing the candidate’s personal Christian faith, practice, and current local church affiliation
- A one-page research statement which outlines research goals (optional)
Please email your documents to:
Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
The search committee will begin reviewing applications in December 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Kirkland
- Communications Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Kirkland
- Media Studies Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Kirkland
- Other Communications Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Kirkland
- Public Relations & Advertising Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Kirkland