Assistant or Associate Professor - Special Education - Advanced Education Programs Department - 0248
The High Incidence Special Education program is an online, graduate level program housed in the Advanced Education Programs Department, College of Education, at Fort Hays State University (FHSU). This award-winning program supports graduate candidates in earning an endorsement and/or a Master of Science in Education degree to work with students with high incidence disabilities in Pre-K through 12th grade settings. We invite submitted applications for a full-time, tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor position.
The primary responsibility of this position is instruction and advising in high incidence special education coupled with coordination of the program, with the expectation that the faculty member will also engage in scholarly activity and university/professional service. The areas of responsibility are apportioned at 45% Teaching/Advising, 15% Program Coordination, 20% Scholarship, and 20% Service.
Successful candidates should have a solid background in special education, having served as a special education teacher in Pre-K through 12th grade settings and having demonstrated leadership roles related to special education in broader educational settings. Successful candidates should also have diverse institutional, educational, research, and experiential backgrounds, including teaching in a higher education setting.
The candidate for this position must have an earned doctorate in special education or related field of study and have practical/applicable experience as a special educator working with students with high incidence needs (minimum of 2 years).
- Instructional experience (minimum 2 years) in a higher education setting, specifically teaching online
- Instructional experience working with graduate level candidates
- Leadership experience related to special education
- Management experience, such as coordinating schedules and monitoring enrollment data
- Demonstrated commitment to scholarly activities
- Demonstrated commitment to service activities
- Demonstrated commitment to participate in school-university partnerships
Rank: Assistant or Associate Professor
Appointment Date: August 12, 2021
Priority Deadline: November 15, 2020. Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and background
Benefits: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- Instruction/Student Advisement (45%) - The candidate filling this position will be expected to teach the equivalent of 9 credit hours per semester at the graduate level within the High Incidence Special Education program. Instructional responsibility includes teaching online courses to master’s level candidates pursuing an endorsement to teach students with high incidence disabilities in Pre-K through 12th grade settings. Student advisement at the graduate level is a part of the instructional responsibility for this position. Student advisement includes onboarding new graduate candidates to the program, guiding candidates through the program, monitoring candidate progress through the program, supporting accreditation data collection, and administering comprehensive exams.
- Program Coordination (15%) – The candidate
filling this position will serve as the Program Coordinator for the
High Incidence Special Education program. Program coordination
- Creating and managing the course schedule.
- Guiding program curriculum.
- Focusing on data collection/analysis for accreditation.
- Marketing and recruitment for the program.
- Scholarship (20%) - A commitment to scholarship related to the field of special education is required. Examples of acceptable scholarship include peer-reviewed book/journal publications, grant proposals, development of innovative educational programs, and conference presentations.
- Service (20%) - A commitment to service activities is required. This includes service activities at FHSU, department, college, and university levels. Service activities as related to the field of special education are also expected at the national, regional/state, and local/community levels.
To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
Required Application Documents:
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vita, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF file.
If you have questions regarding the position, please
Name: Dr. Brooke Moore, Associate Professor
About the Department:
The Advanced Education Programs Department is housed in the College of Education at Fort Hays State University. This department offers twenty-three Master’s and Education Specialist programs for candidates pursuing advanced endorsements or degrees in educational or community settings. All programs are offered fully online with the exception of some courses in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling, and Higher Education Student Affairs. Our programs are accredited through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), and the two Counseling Programs are currently pursuing accreditation through the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
About the College:
The College of Education at Fort Hays State University houses two departments. The Teacher Education Department focuses on supporting candidates in pursuing initial teaching licensure and the Advanced Education Programs Department supports candidates in pursuing advanced endorsements and degrees in educational or community settings.
About Fort Hays State University:
Founded in 1902, FHSU is a leading, forward-thinking university of the Midwest, with student enrollment of more than 15,500 (including 4,500+ on the Hays campus, a unique China partnership program with enrollment of 4,000 students, and Virtual College enrollment at over 7,000). Over 400 faculty and more than 500 professional and staff support and guide degree and certificate programs for the associate’s, bachelor's, and master's programs, and for the Doctorate of Nursing Practice, representing 31 departments within these academic divisions:
- College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- W.R. and Yvonne Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship
- College of Education
- College of Health and Behavioral Sciences
- Peter Werth College of Science, Technology, and Mathematics
- Graduate School
Fort Hays State University provides exceptional opportunities for students from Kansas, the region, and the world, and the University attracts goal-oriented students who want premier learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom combined with one-to-one attention and support. FHSU students graduate with the knowledge, professional skills, and confidence to have a competitive edge in their chosen careers. Upon graduation, 95% of FHSU students find a job or placement in graduate school.
About Hays, Kansas:
Candidates will discover a locale where professional satisfaction and career achievement are paired with an optimal quality of life. Fort Hays State University is located in Hays, Kansas, a vibrant, growing community of over 20,000 that takes great pride in the University's presence. Hays is a celebration of historic and contemporary contrasts, evidenced in its frontier roots highlighted throughout the city and local museums and in its redeveloped downtown area where residents enjoy one-of-a-kind restaurants, unique shopping, and a vibrant arts scene. This community’s commitment to the future inspires Hays businesses to reinvest locally.
A welcoming and family-centered community, Hays offers premier healthcare services, a growing high-tech and retail business community, and excellent Pre-K and K–12 schools in both the private and public sectors. The City of Hays has long been known as a safe community, and the FHSU campus is recognized by the National Council for Home Safety and Security in 2018 as one of the Top 100 Safest College Campuses in America. For entertainment, recreation, education, employment, or simply for a comfortable place to live, residents of all ages will find in Hays the elements that contribute to a safe, enjoyable, and fulfilling lifestyle.
Notice of Non-discrimination:
Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.