Director, Academics, Glenn Gould School
Permanent Part-time Position (3 days/week)
The Royal Conservatory (RCM) is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, and teacher certification. Graduates of its two performance training programs, The Glenn Gould School and The Phil and Eli Taylor Performance Academy for Young Artists have regularly performed on major international stages. The RCM is also a leader in the development of early childhood education programs and arts-based social programs, and presents a diverse range of concerts featuring the finest Canadian and international artists in its magnificent performance space, Koerner Hall. Please visit www.rcmusic.com for more information.
The Director, Academics, Glenn Gould School is responsible for articulating the long-term vision and academic plan to guide the development of the GGS as a degree-granting institution and model of excellence in post-secondary education in the arts. Tasks include: planning and reporting, curricular innovation, program review for quality assurance, faculty development, and fostering internal and external academic relationships.
What You Will Do:
- Manage academic organizational structure of the GGS. This includes planning, implementing and evaluating all academic programs, through approval of course descriptions, development of new courses (when required) and planning and implementation of course and instructor evaluations.
- Lead ongoing Curriculum and Academic Policy Review processes:
- Program review every 5-7 years
- Yearly informal program review based on course/instructor evaluations, as well as additional faculty and student feedback
- Academic Policy Review
- Review all academic policies for clarity and process improvements
- Articulate roles and responsibilities of academic leaders as part of the Academic Plan, updating as needed based on ongoing review processes
- Develop programs to support teaching and learning initiatives, including opportunities for faculty professional development
- Assist in faculty hiring
- Act as academic liaison with the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (and other related government agencies) for program oversight, including regular reporting, program reviews and renewal of degree-granting consent (an 18-month process with a completion date during 2023-2024 Academic Year)
- Act as academic liaison between GGS and other post-secondary music institutions
- GGS Divisional Committee (Chair)
- RCM Academic Council
- Dean’s Program Advisory Committee (Staff Lead)
- GGS Dispute Resolution Committee
- Other committees and subcommittees as requested
- Assist in determining budget priorities for GGS
- Teach in the academic program, if required
- Participate in fundraising activities as required
- Perform other associated duties as required
What You Bring:
- PhD or other terminal degree with a record of accomplishment in both higher education and the arts
- Experience in operational leadership and management of a complex academic organization
- Experience with strategic planning, budgeting, personnel and fundraising
- Demonstrated leadership fostering excellence in teaching scholarship and creative work
- Experience developing and overseeing programs that increase student success
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of diversity, fairness and service
- Experience in developing partnerships between a college and other institutions
- Office environment with occasional requirements to work outside of regular office hours.
- This is not a remote position; however due to current provincial restrictions, remote work may be temporarily required.
The RCM is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the RCM’s Anti-Racism, Access and Equity Policy, accommodation will be provided at any stage of in the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are asked to make their accommodation needs known when they have been contacted for an interview.
Interested candidates are asked to apply by emailing a cover letter and current résumé (please attach a single file combining both documents) to HumanResources@rcmusic.ca Please quote posting RCM223.1 in the email subject line. Resumes will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and the position will remain posted until a qualified candidate is identified.
The RCM thanks all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.