Assistant/Associate Professor of Anatomy
Recruitment Period: 10/13/2020 - Until Filled
Status: Full Time
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU) was founded as a 501(c) (3) non-profit medical institution in 2005 aimed at increasing access to health care in medically underserved areas of the Pacific Northwest.
The University strives to enhance and maintain an inclusive and welcoming environment which seeks contributions from those of diverse backgrounds who represent and advocate for the communities we serve. Currently, the university offers a doctoral degree in Osteopathic Medicine with a total enrollment of 540 medical students. Collaborations with other health professions programs and future campus growth are well underway.
PNWU is located in Yakima, Washington, a city of approximately 95,000 located in the south-central part of the state near the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mountains in a major agricultural and outdoor recreation region. It is approximately 140 miles from Seattle and 170 miles from Portland. The Yakima Valley is a wonderful place to live, work and play providing a wide variety of interests—www.liveyakimavalley.com.
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU) invites applications for Assistant/Associate Professor of Anatomy in the College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM).
The Assistant/Associate Professor will provide support to the Department of Anatomy and will be expected to fulfill the educational, service, and scholarly activity objectives of the COM. This position reports directly to the Chair of Anatomy.
The Anatomy Department at PNWU is a vibrant group of five full-time and two part-time faculty who work collaboratively among themselves and with all other departments in the COM preclinical curriculum. The main teaching responsibilities of the department include human gross anatomy and neuroanatomy with cadaver dissection, and histology and embryology in systems courses. With the expansion of PNWU to include Physical Therapy and other health professional programs, teaching opportunities beyond the College of Medicine will likely increase in the near future. Scholarly activities range from bench research to clinical studies and educational research.
Essential Job Functions:
- Lecture and laboratory instruction in some combination of gross anatomy, neuroanatomy, embryology, and histology disciplines, and other curricular content as assigned and consistent with expertise
- Involvement in curriculum development
- Committee work and other service to the University
- Development of assessments in areas of expertise
- Research or other scholarly activity
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Department Chair or Dean
The ideal candidate should have a demonstrated interest in teaching anatomy and related disciplines to osteopathic medicine and other health professions students and in developing and executing educational programs. The candidate will be a broadly trained anatomist, able to deliver various aspects of the anatomical sciences curriculum through a variety of educational platforms. Ideally the candidate will have strong training in related disciplines such as cell biology and physiology.
- Required: Earned Doctor of Philosophy degree or equivalent in an anatomical or closely related discipline (e.g., gross anatomy, neuroanatomy/neuroscience/neurobiology, developmental biology/embryology, cell biology, physiology). Applicants with a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) or Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree from a COCA or LCME-accredited institution of higher learning (or equivalent) are encouraged to apply where teaching experience matches PNWU’s needs. Applicants who have earned a terminal graduate degree from an accredited institution outside of the United States will also be considered.
- Experience in teaching advanced human anatomy with human cadaveric dissection, and/or in teaching cell biological aspects of histology, embryology, or neuroscience.
- A demonstrated history of scholarly achievements.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, and pedagogical skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with faculty, staff, and students in a manner that evokes trust and respect.
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Strong organization, interpersonal, and planning skills; strong verbal and written communication skills; excellent presentation skills; ability to work in a team and flexibility to work with others in a variety of circumstances; ability to problem solve by analyzing issues and creating action plans; ability to manage projects and people and prioritize and self-direct work flow; ability to work with and manage different computer programs and databases; and schedule activities and/or meetings.
To ensure full consideration apply to https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/372880 by the closing date.
To ensure full consideration submit:
- A letter of introduction outlining background and qualifications for the position
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Contact information for three professional references
The job announcement above is not the full job description, but represents the job responsibilities and requirements. A full job description can be provided upon request.
PNWU offers a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees first of the month following date of hire and competitive salary.
For information about life in Yakima visit our PNWU website here.
PNWU is a drug-free workplace, equal opportunity employer and educational institution. To request this publication in an alternative format, or to apply in an alternative format, please call Human Resources, 509.452.5100.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Union Gap
- Health & Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Union Gap
- Other Health & Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Union Gap
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Union Gap
- Other Science & Technology Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Union Gap