Continuing Education Lecturer - Interpretation/Translation Instructor (Part Time)
CONTINUING EDUCATION LECTURER - INTERPRETATION/TRANSLATION INSTRUCTOR (PART TIME)
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Malcolm X College seeks a dynamic, engaging, and experienced interpreter/translator instructor to teach in-person (or remotely) a 40-hour certificate translation/interpretation course. This Continuing Professional Development course provides the foundation and a comprehensive overview of translation/interpretation as it applies to healthcare and legal fields. This not-for-credit course focuses on standards of practice, medical and legal terminology, cultural competence, translation/interpretation skills and techniques, and more. The course's specific content will be discussed with and coordinated by Malcolm X College, Dean of Community and Continuing Education (CE). Each class will use lectures and media presentations, including PowerPoint, videos, and other learning resources. The translator/interpreter instructor and CE Dean will discuss and set up the class schedule (dates, days, and times).
This course is preferred in-person, but a remote option maybe considered.
- Coordinate course schedule, curriculum content, and assessment tools with the Dean of Community and Continuing Education.
- Prepare instructional program objectives, outlines, and lesson plans.
- Provide instruction as directed and use effective teaching methods.
- Adapt teaching methods as needed.
- Plan and conduct activities that provide students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Monitor students' performance to make suggestions for improvement and ensure that they satisfy course standards, training requirements, and objectives.
- Regularly contacts students to coach, mentor, and tutor them in the course using our online platforms such as Zoom, Brightspace, or via phone, email, etc.
- Review course materials with students during office hours.
- Be prepared to teach this course in-person, remotely, or a combination of both.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) with an undergraduate or graduate degree in the language requested and at least one year of experience teaching interpretation/translation courses, or
- An associate degree from an accredited interpreting program, including four years of teaching interpreting/translating courses.
- Certified by either the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) or the National Board of Certified Medical Interpreters (NBCMI).
- Previous experience in legal, medical, or other professional translation/interpretation.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of learning management systems, such as Brightspace D2L, desired.
Malcolm X College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!