Working Position Title
The position of security guard is a responsible, professional public safety position with limited enforcement authority. Individuals working in this capacity protect the safety and security of person, property, equipment and facilities at Northern Illinois University controlled lands. Security guards report violations of all Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations and University policies and procedures. Security guards report infraction of the public peace and order, protect property and assist in facilitating the adjudication of infractions of the University Judicial Code and State or Federal Criminal or Civil Code violations.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
The duties and responsibilities of a security guard include, but are not limited to:
1. Preventing death or injury and protecting property while preserving the public peace, order and tranquility through the use of foot patrols, securing of buildings, facilities and items, and the temporary civil detention of offenders until placed into police custody.
2. The reporting of State criminal laws and adopted edicts from the University Board of Trustees through a general knowledge and understanding of the Illinois State Statutes and the University’s policies, procedures, rules and regulations and how they should be applied.
3. Gathering information relative to civil and criminal complaints and relaying it to police authorities.
4. Providing written activity reports and court testimony.
5. Limited directing of motor vehicle and pedestrian traffic and reporting of observed motor vehicle accidents.
6. Engaging in foot patrol activities, building security, and self-initiated security activities.
7. Operating and maintaining department equipment in accordance with agency policy and procedures.
8. Promote exceptional relationships with the university community.
9. Security guards may be called upon to assist other jurisdictions in limited circumstances as provided for in the parent agency policies.
10. Performing other duties as may be required by supervisory or command personnel.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. high school graduation or equivalent
2. valid Illinois drivers license if essential to the position
3. no record of conviction of a felony, or of a crime involving moral turpitude
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
Security guards must possess a general understanding of the State of Illinois Criminal Code and the policies, procedures, rules and regulations of the university. Security guards are required to have a general knowledge and understanding of how to engage in effective mediation, facilitation, negotiation and de-escalation activities. Every guard must have the cognitive capacity to read, understand, interpret and apply the appropriate legal texts and academic documents that provide the information necessary to develop the knowledge and skills mentioned above.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
varies upon department need
$11.66 per hour; in addition to a robust benefits package to eligible candidates.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on yourentirework history, including employment dates and duties forallpositions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will berequiredto present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click Security Guard for more information including typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
- The Security Guard classification is part of the Metropolitan Alliance of Police Chapter 414 union. Information regarding the Collective Bargaining Agreement can be found at Security Guard Chapter 414 union
Link to Department Homepage
NIU Department of Police and Public Safety
Physical Requirements: Security guards may be required to exert themselves with no prior notification. In emergency circumstances a guard may be required to run up several flights of stairs. A guard may be required to walk several miles during a shift or stand for several hours. Guards may also be required to chase an on-foot-fleeing suspect for several hundred meters and then detain them until police arrive. He or she must be able to assess the situation and make appropriate decisions regarding the use of available resources and appropriate responses. They must have sufficient intellectual capacity to remain in control while managing stressful circumstances.
Security guards are required to undertake foot patrol activities, which may entail up to sixteen (16) hours with limited breaks in the activity.
Security guards may be required to sit for several hours in a patrol vehicle or a classroom with limited ability to stretch or reposition themselves.
Work Environment: Security guards work in a variety of conditions. They may have to walk patrols in subzero conditions or temperatures above 90 degrees. Guard personnel may be on foot-patrol for extended periods or have to remain in a classroom for up to eight (8) hours per day. They may be required to enter tight places or areas that have low light conditions. Guards work at night, during weekends, on holidays and are subject to shift-work.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. This form can be obtained by contacting the Office of Academic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ( ADEI ) at 815-753-8399.
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Did you graduate high school or do you possess an equivalent
- Do you possess a valid State of Illinois driver's license?
- If applicable, have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215,
NGB22, or DD256 for consideration of Veterans Preference Points?
The copy submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order
to be considered.
- Not Applicable
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)