Assistant Professor of Art History
Assistant Professor of Art History
Job No: 497581
Work Type: Instructional Faculty - Tenured/Tenure-Track
Location: Long Beach
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Fine/Performing Arts, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time
Position: Assistant Professor of Art History
Effective Date: August 17, 2021 (Fall Semester)
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications to begin November 15, 2020. Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled)
College of the Arts
School of Art
California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) is a federally designated Hispanic-serving institution, and this important position in the art history program will help engage our community of students through rigorous teaching, scholarship, and service. Located in the vibrant Long Beach and greater Los Angeles areas, CSULB seeks to be a leader in Latin American art history and to collaborate with immediate neighboring institutions like the Museum of Latin American Art, the Getty, and LACMA.
- Ph.D. in Art History/Latin American. Degree at time of application or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2021.
- Demonstrated competency in or potential for teaching a variety of upper-division courses in Latin American and/or Latinx art and architecture as well as a lower-division Latin American art and architecture survey courses.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in scholarly research in Latin American and/or Latinx art history.
- Demonstrated potential for working with Art History MA graduate students in seminars and thesis development.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and addressing global perspectives in art history.
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated potential for effectiveness in teaching Pre-Columbian Art, or another area of specialization in lower-division course(s) and/or other course(s).
- Demonstrated potential to teach Historiography, Writing and Methodology, and special topics seminars.
- Demonstrated interest in working with the Carolyn Campagna Kleefeld Contemporary Art Museum on campus and/or local institutions.
- Demonstrated excellence in research, scholarly and creative activities, and publication record.
- Demonstrated potential for leadership.
- Teach lower-division courses in Latin American art and architecture survey; teach upper-division courses relating to Latin American art and architectural history; teach upper-division courses relating to Pre-Columbian art and architectural history or another area of specialization. Modes of instruction may include in-person or alternative mode of instruction (hybrid, online, and/or any combination thereof).
- Direct Art History graduate students engaged in research and thesis development of Latin American art and Latinx topics.
- Serve as Art History Program Head and Art History Graduate Student Coordinator on a rotating basis.
- Engage in curriculum development (may include Latinx).
- Establish a consistent ongoing record of research, scholarly and creative activities.
- Participate in service to the School of Art, committee work, college, university, and community.
CSULB seeks to recruit faculty who enthusiastically support the University's strong commitment to the academic success of all of our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions. CSULB seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the People of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students a rich variety of expertise, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
Information on excellent benefits package available to CSULB faculty is located here:
Request for information or questions e-mail: COTA-SOA-Apply@csulb.edu
A background check (including a criminal records check and telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, medical condition, age, Vietnam era veteran status, or any other veteran's status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/lb/en-us/job/497581/assistant-professor-of-art-history