Assistant Professor in Physical Geography (Humanities & Social Studies Education Academic Group)
Assistant Professor in Physical Geography
(Humanities & Social Studies Education
The National Institute of Education (NIE) is among the world’s top education institutes, recognised for its excellence in teacher education and educational research. NIE has played a key and pivotal role in shaping and developing Singapore’s teaching profession and landscape through evidence-informed, practice-focused and values-based programmes and initiatives.
An autonomous institute situated within the research-intensive Nanyang Technological University, NIE is consistently ranked within the top 15 in the world for research impact in the field of Education.
The Humanities and Social Studies Education (HSSE) Academic Group at the National Institute of Education in Singapore combines the expertise of scholars and experienced education specialists in history, geography and social studies to deliver impactful research and teacher education programmes. We offer an extensive range of courses focused on both classroom pedagogy and disciplinary content relevant to history, geography, and social studies educators, curriculum specialists, undergraduate teaching scholars and higher degree students. HSSE scholarship in educational practice ─ as well as in the disciplines of history, geography, and social studies ─ is relevant to a range of 21st Century issues fundamental to the preparation of professionals interested in academic careers, school leadership and educational specialisations. HSSE also has several collaborative projects focused on sustainability, digital humanities, and disciplinary thinking that focus on innovations designed to lead practice and guide change in education.
HSSE Academic Group intends to appoint a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Physical Geography. This position provides opportunity to conduct research in the applicant’s area of specialization and teach geography content at the world’s #13-ranked university (QS World University Rankings). In addition, there are unique opportunities to link content and geographic education research through the Sustainability Learning Lab and the IoT@NIE Learning Lab.
Successful candidates must have:
• A PhD in Geography, in any physical geography specialization, from an internationally acclaimed institution at the time of appointment.
• A good track record in research, including publication or a promising trajectory in research and publication for early career scholars.
• Experience with, and an ability to teach, geographic techniques like GIS, remote sensing, and statistics.
• Demonstrated experience leading undergraduate field research.
A good track record in teaching both undergraduate and graduate
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and technology skills and dedication to academic teaching excellence and collegiality.
Successful candidates will be expected to:
• Build up a strong research and publication record.
• Teach undergraduate-level courses, including supervising Geography fieldwork and research projects.
• Teach post-graduate level courses and supervise Masters and PhD dissertation work.
• Gain familiarity with the Singapore geography curriculum and the Singapore education system in order to teach in-service teacher professional development courses in Physical Geography, and mentor undergraduate pre-service teachers in their school teaching practice.
Undertake any administrative duties or committee work required as
exigencies of service.
Please submit your application together with the following documents to us through https://ntu.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Careers/job/NTU-Main-Campus-Singapore/Assistant-Professor-in-Physical-Geography--NIE-_R00003842 :
A research statement
A teaching statement
A detailed curriculum vitae including a publication list, three writing samples and names of three referees and your desired starting date of employment
List of your best publications
Any other documents beyond those listed here or requested on the application form that demonstrate your qualifications and credentials
This position will remain open until filled.
More information on HSSE can be found at http://www.nie.edu.sg/our-people/academic-groups/humanities-and-social-studies-education.
For enquiries, interested applicants may write to A/P Ivy Maria Lim at email@example.com.
Note to applicants
We regret that only successful candidates will be notified (via email).
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Singapore
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Singapore
- Teacher Education Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Singapore
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Singapore
- Geography Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Singapore