Information Systems Analyst / Programmer
Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Staff at Cabrillo College support quality programs and services to students that promote their diverse and evolving needs as they progress toward their individual educational goals. Come join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a time!
This full-time, 12-months per year position, under general supervision, performs systems design and modification, data-base administration, programming, and hardware and software modifications of a routine to complex nature in support of College administrative and academic functions; and performs related duties as required or assigned.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 2.75% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 1% Filipino, 0.25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2019. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
As a classified staff member at Cabrillo College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives.
Examples of Duties
- Gathers, reviews, and analyzes information regarding user systems and requirements; develops or modifies automated systems to fulfill these needs
- Analyzes business requirements and implements electronic solutions to automate processes and workflow; ensures effective computer systems and applications security
- Researches and analyzes new technology and applications; conducts feasibility studies; participates in designing, coding, and testing of new system software and applications
- Coordinates application development; develops system cost requirements and proposed timeframes
- Simulates software problems, tests and evaluates alternative solutions; recommends and implements appropriate application designs
- Codes programs in the appropriate language, and/or modifies commercial software to meet designated needs
- Plans and develops test data to validate new or modified applications
- Designs user interfaces including forms, documents, and screens
- Configures hardware, document systems, and performs backup as required
- Troubleshoots hardware and software problems as needed
- Writes program documentation user procedures, instructions, and assists users in implementing new or modified applications
- Maintains records and prepares periodic and special reports of work performed
- Maintains current knowledge of technology, new computer applications and system enhancements
- Recommends software applications for assigned area of expertise
- May direct the work of others on a project basis
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff
Education and Experience :
- Equivalent to two years of college level course work with major course work in computer science, business procedures and accounting, mathematics, or a closely related field and
- Three years of increasingly responsible experience in programming business and/or academic applications for a mainframe computer system.
- Ellucian Colleague ERP practices and procedures
- Interface experience with systems such as Astra, Trackit, and SARS
- SQL Server knowledge and experience
- Microsoft .net framework, C# and Visual Studio, HTML, CSS and JAVA
- Google application knowledge with docs and sites
- Shell Scripting with PerlScript and Python
- Project management with system integration and implementation
Knowledge of :
- Advanced computer programming languages and tools, principles, techniques and procedures
- Project management and business communication techniques
- Operating principles and characteristics including best practices and techniques used in programming, development, design, and the operation of databases, computer systems, and software applications
- System integration to ensure compatibility and operational efficiency
- Security concepts including security of databases, systems, applications, and user authentication
- Customer service standards, practices, and procedures
- Project management and business administration procedures including basic accounting and statistics
- Analyze systems and problems, develop new or modified applications to meet varied needs, and ensure integration with new or modified software applications
- Analyze system requirements and select appropriate software solutions
- Develop logical procedures and tests to validate program design
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
- Investigate, troubleshoot and resolve system and application issues
- Prepare clear and concise records, reports, and documentation for workflow logical processes, interfaces, security controls, reports of work performed, and other written materials
- Coordinate projects and services to meet technology needs
- Translate user needs into operational applications, instruct staff in the operation of new or revised computer applications, including explaining system concepts to non-technical users
- Exercise sound judgment within established guidelines
- Establish priorities and maintain timelines and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Create project development plans and specifications
- Develop computer system software and application project plans
- Design, code, test, and implement new software and applications
- Read, analyze, and interpret technical manuals, procedures, and instructions
- Define problem areas, collect and evaluate data, and make appropriate recommendations
- Make arithmetic calculations accurately and rapidly
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Attend to and analyze detailed information
- Exercise discretion and safeguard the confidentiality of information
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Trace, identify, and resolve system issues
- Develop and maintain an inclusive work environment that fosters diversity, respect and engagement
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- A valid California driver’s license or ability to access and use alternative transportation.
- Must be willing to work days, evenings, and weekends at various campus sites
Starting Salary Range: $5,260 to $5,799 per month; maximum initial salary step placement on the classified salary schedule is step 3. Full-time assignment, 12 months per year. Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
Benefits: Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, life, short and long term, and vision (optional) insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an Employee Assistance Program. Please see the Benefits link on the HR webpage for more information.
- Completed application
- Answer Supplemental Questions
- Attach the following:
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended, if applicable, showing degree conferred (copies, and downloads are acceptable). Foreign transcripts must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency at the applicant’s expense – click here for more information
Please note : All application materials must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date indicated above.
Only completed applications with the above required documents will be reviewed by the committee. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be reviewed. Remove personally identifiable information such as personal photos, social security number, birth date, age, and gender from your application materials. Expenses related to the recruitment process are the responsibility of the applicant. Cabrillo is unable to sponsor work visas. A position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
A search committee will review and invite applicants for an interview. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview. A written performance exercise and/or presentation may be a part of the interview, and finalists may be invited to return for a second interview. All notifications will be via email, and by accessing your application profile.
Conditions of Employment
Selected candidates given a conditional offer of employment are required to submit tuberculosis screening clearance results, official transcripts, proof of eligibility to work in the United States, and present their Social Security card upon hire (for payroll purposes).
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Human Resources at (831) 479-6217.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos