Coordinator, Student Academic Services (16781)
The Coordinator, Academic Services provides student-centered academic and scholarly support across all disciplines. The Academic Support Team’s peer educator programs (PEP) include, but are not limited to, Supplemental Instruction (SI), the Tutoring Lab, referral tutoring, quantitative support, and the Writing Center.
The Coordinator, Academic Services supports the overall mission of PEP, with a primary focus on Supplemental Instruction and Tutoring (“tutoring lab, referral tutoring, quantitative support”). This position coordinates all day-to-day activities of Supplemental Instruction and Tutoring, conducts outreach and engagement activities on behalf of the PEP, and provides direct academic support to students. The Coordinator is also responsible for training and supervising PEP tutors, and updating and maintain PEP procedures in collaboration with the Manager, SI & Tutoring.
In coordination with colleagues on the DUE/VPASS team and under the leadership of the Director, coordinate all day-to-day activities of the PEP with a primary focus on Supplemental Instruction and Tutoring. This includes conducting research, gathering materials, scheduling personnel and spaces, conducting observations of tutoring sessions, assessing tutors’ quality of instruction and support, and debriefing with tutors on observations. Monitor and respond to the peer educator email account and field student inquiries. Review program assessments. Review program assessments. Work closely with and communicate regularly with [Coordinator] counterpart, to ensure consistent administrative practices and effective and efficient delivery of peer educator-led services.
2. People Management and Training
Assist the Manager with hiring protocols and training to ensure consistency with all DUE/VPASS PEP operations. Directly responsible for the recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of tutors. Co-facilitate orientations and trainings for graduate and undergraduate student employees, including graduate students whose fellowships include work in the Writing Center or Quantitative Support. Prepare instructional materials and organize workshops for tutors and clients to maximize job performance and improve clients' writing skills.
3. Academic Support
Work on various elements of academic support in collaboration with colleagues in the UEAS. Provide direct academic support to students in all disciplines through workshop presentations, one-on-one appointments, etc. Create, maintain, update, and disseminate tools and artifacts that be shared with the university community, on topics related to tutoring skills, tactics, and other relevant areas. Support the Director in defining and executing the development of academic support for STEM and AU Core classes.
4. Communication and Outreach
Conducts program outreach, marketing, and tabling, for students and faculty, to increase awareness of all student academic services peer educator programs. Coordinate faculty referrals of students. Co-manage the PEP’s social media presence. Develop and maintain all promotional materials including the PEP website pages.
5. Other duties as assigned. Chairs peer educator Special Events and Recognition and Training Committee.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time (Occasional weekend work may be required)
- Coordinator/Analyst A
Position’s Required Presence (subject to change due to the University’s operating status)
- Allow for full telework
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 1-3 years of relevant experience (Must possess expertise in academic skill development, tutoring, writing instruction, and tutor training)
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent
- 2-4 years of relevant experience (Experience teaching writing
at the college level and working with students with diverse
backgrounds is strongly
- Experience with peer educator programs
- Seeks out, values, and utilizes diverse knowledge and experiences
- Experience incorporating anti-racist practices in job duties
- Experience with WConline or similar scheduling system
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Excellent customer service and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Well-developed written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students and faculty
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work related information. Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.