Coordinator, Student Academic Services (16782)
The Coordinator, Student Academic Services provides student-centered academic and scholarly support across all disciplines. The Academic Support Team’s peer educator programs (PEP) include, but are not limited to, Supplemental Instruction (SI), the Tutoring Lab, referral tutoring, quantitative support, and the Writing Center.
The Coordinator, Student Academic Services supports the overall mission of PEP, with a primary focus on the Writing Center. This position coordinates all day-to-day activities of the Writing Center, conducts outreach and engagement activities on behalf of the PEP and Writing Center, and provides direct academic support to students. The Coordinator is also responsible for training and supervising PEP tutors and updating and maintain PEP procedures in collaboration with the Manager, SI & Tutoring.
In coordination with colleagues on the DUE/VPASS team and under the leadership of the Director, coordinate day-to-day activities of the Writing Center, including responding to inquiries, scheduling personnel, keeping records, reviewing staff narrative accounts of all Writing Center sessions, and preparing reports on the work of the Center. Monitor and respond to the peer educator email account and field student inquiries. Review program assessments. Work closely with and communicate regularly with [Coordinator] counterpart, to ensure consistent administrative practices and effective and efficient delivery of peer educator-led services.
2. People Management and Training
Assist the Director with hiring protocols and training to ensure consistency with all DUE/VPASS PEP operations. Coordinates the recruitment, training, supervision and evaluation of tutors, interns, fellows, and front-desk assistants. Co-facilitate orientations and trainings for graduate and undergraduate student employees, including graduate students whose fellowships include work in the Writing Center. Prepare instructional materials and organize workshops for tutors and clients to maximize job performance and improve clients' writing skills. Supervise student assistants who manage the front desk of the Writing Center and PEP tutors with the Manager, SI & Tutoring.
3. Academic Support
Work on various elements of academic support in collaboration with colleagues in UEAS. Provide direct academic support to students in all disciplines through workshop presentations, one-on-one tutoring appointments, etc. Create, maintain, update, and disseminate tools and artifacts that be shared with the university community, on topics related to tutoring skills, tactics, and other relevant areas. Support the Director in defining and executing the development of academic support for writing intensive classes.
4. Communication and Outreach Represent the Writing Center at various University functions and orientations. With the Director, organize classroom presentations for Writing Studies Program classes and for AU Core courses (Written Communication & Information Literacy I & II). May deliver presentations. Co-manage the PEP’s social media presence. Develop and maintain all promotional materials.
5. Other duties as assigned.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time (Occasional weekend work may be required)
- Coordinator/Analyst A
Position’s Required Presence (subject to change due to the University’s operating status)
- Allow for full telework
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent (Bachelor’s Degree in English, Composition, or a closely related field)
- 1-3 years of relevant experience (One to three years of writing
instruction and/or experience working in a writing center or
equivalent academic support program and expertise in academic skill
development, tutoring, writing instruction, and tutor
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent
- TESOL degree or certification preferred
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Experience teaching writing at the college level and working with students with diverse backgrounds is strongly preferred
- Experience with peer educator programs
- Seeks out, values, and utilizes diverse knowledge and experiences
- Experience incorporating anti-racist practices in job duties
- Experience with WConline or similar scheduling system
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Excellent customer service and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Well-developed written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students and faculty
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work related information
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- English & Literature Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.