Academic Advisor II, College of Humanities and Sciences
The College of Humanities and Sciences invites applications for an Academic Advisor II to join their team. The person assigned to this position will support the academic success of students and serve as a resource for faculty and advising colleagues across the College of Humanities and Sciences and the University of Montana. Through individual appointments, walk-in advising, group advising and creation of advising materials, this position will serve as primary advisor with an assigned caseload of undergraduate students in the College of Humanities and Sciences. Additionally, this position will meet with students on a walk-in basis providing information and direction to students whose advising home is the College of Humanities and Sciences Advising Center.
The employee assigned to this position will collaborate closely with the department chairs and program directors in order to be well versed in curriculum requirements, and support retention and recruiting efforts; and will forge relationships with staff in campus offices that provide student services, such as TRIO, Disability Services, Career Services, Financial Aid, Honors College, Writing Center, Tutoring Services, Graduation Office, Academic Enrichment, the Writing Center, and the Office of Student Success in order to make effective referrals.
The person in this position will assume the following duties and responsibilities :
- Establish expertise in knowledge of curriculums to advise students in up to three academic programs. Maintain familiarity with College of Humanities and Sciences undergraduate programs and curricula. Act as a liaison between students and departments.
- Advise current, transfer, returning and prospective students on academic program planning in person, by e-mail, and by phone
- Advise students on academic standards, major selection and requirements, General Education requirements, academic policies and procedures
- Train and coach students in use of academic resources, including the University Catalog, CyberBear, Degree Works and Starfish
- Utilize various student information systems to assess student progress and record contacts
- Conduct core course registration for incoming first-year students
- Assist students with academic appeals, withdrawal, drop and add petitions, reinstatement plans, degree plans and graduation applications
- Connect students to academic and career development experiences and opportunities including student clubs, internships, undergraduate research, study abroad and conferences
- Effectively refer students to career resources (OOH, ONet, and career assessments)
- Assist with Departmental and College of Humanities and Sciences recruitment and retention efforts; meeting with prospective students and parents at UM Days, transfer student events, and other College of Humanities and Sciences events
- Oversee the management, awarding, advertising and stewardship of Departmental scholarships, serving as the contact person for questions related to scholarships, effectively use the appropriate scholarship management technologies and working collaboratively with UM FAID and UMF regarding scholarship management.
- Assist with developing advising materials and workshops including web pages. May disseminate information via email distribution lists
- May provide guidance and direction on academic catalog updates, departmental meetings during new student orientations and undergraduate course scheduling
- May serve as project management lead on at least one area in the office. Contribute to the smooth running of a college advising center
This position requires incumbent to develop a working knowledge of advising appointments, demonstrating in-depth knowledge of academic curriculums, academic policies and services, and resources for students at the University of Montana.
- Ability to learn in detail undergraduate curriculums in the College of Humanities and Sciences
- Ability to learn the University of Montana General Education curriculum and other graduation requirements
- Ability to advise students regarding a myriad of issues from course selection to withdrawals and reinstatements to support services such as tutoring and counseling
- Familiarity with University of Montana academic policies and processes including waitlists, probation and suspension, withdrawals and reinstatements.
- Ability to guide students through appeals and petition processes
- Knowledge of FERPA guidelines and an ability to talk in accordance with federal statutes with parents and others concerned about a student’s welfare
- Ability to collaborate on projects and handle conflict in a professional manner
- Ability to forge and foster a professional relationship with academic department chairs and advocate for students when appropriate
- Knowledge of University of Montana campus services offices
- Excellent communication skills including listening and feedback skills
- Knowledge in use of computer software programs for word processing (MS Word), spreadsheets, (Excel), computerized calendars and e-mail (MS Outlook)
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, as well as at least two (2) years of related professional experience; or any combination of experience and education that would provide the competencies required to successfully discharge the duties assigned to this position.
- Knowledge of University Advising software
About the College of Humanities of Sciences , UM and Missoula
The mission of the College of Humanities and Sciences is to pursue academic excellence by providing unique educational experiences through integration of the liberal arts, graduate study, and professional training with international and interdisciplinary emphases. As the intellectual core of the University of Montana, we fulfill the central purpose for which the University was chartered in 1893 by providing a liberal education and integrated knowledge of the humanities and the sciences.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story. We encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disability preference in accordance with state law.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Academic Advisor II
Position Number: 014030
Department: Department Name w/Hyperlink to Website
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $16.484/hr –Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Sunday, November 1, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular