Job ID: 221134
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Build, finish, inspect, repair, install, modify, rebuild, construct, and maintain residential and commercial structures made of wood and other related materials. Install cabinetry, siding, framing, trim, doors, and drywall.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Perform various carpentry duties to include framing and installing doors, windows, and walls
- Stabilize structures
- Complete minor roofing and roofing sub-structures repairs
- Install flooring (i.e., carpet, ceramic tile, cove base systems) Minor repairs only
- Install sheetrock, ceiling grids and ceiling tiles
- Work with other trades on assignments
- Repair and reinforce furnishings, wall and various structures
- Removal of moisture damage materials and replacement
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two (2) or more years of related work experiences utilizing power tools and hand tools in a commercial or contracted construction setting
- One (1) or more years Carpentry or construction work experience in higher education setting
- One (1) or more years Commercial construction experience
- One (1) or more years Residential construction experience
Required Documents to Attach
Please provide three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section on your application.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Exhibit engaging customer service
- Ability to work well in a diverse environment
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, sketches and building plans
- Manage and prioritize multiple daily task to completion
- Ability to measure accurately and calculate dimensions; ability to safely operate power tools and various hand tools
- Ability to analyze while multi-tasking
- Perform measurement of mechanical devices and components
- Manage projects to fit budget, deadline and timeline decisions
- Identify appropriate materials and tools to efficiently and safely complete projects
- Understanding of procedures and willingness to follow University policies to meet institutional goals
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational and human relation skills
- Attentive to detail
- Creative design and problem-solving skills
- Excellent listening and critical thinking skills
Apply Before Date
October 25, 2020
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or email@example.com.
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Proof of valid driver's license upon hire and throughout employment
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Required to walk, climb, balance, stretch, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch and stand throughout the day
- Must be able to stretch and work from above shoulders and overhead
- Work in non permit required confined spaces (i.e., attics, closets, crawl spaces, mechanical rooms, etc)
- Must be able to maneuver up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodations
- Work from lifts, scaffolding and ladders to reach desired work areas
- Exposed to outdoor elements
- Work in both indoor and outdoor environments
9920201 - Structural Maintenance
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=221134&PostingSeq=1