Job ID: 221063
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Provide general patient care and basic patient education in support of University Health Services medical staff to ensure efficiency and productivity. Perform administrative duties to maintain a steady flow of office and patient room activity.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the AAMA certification requirement has been temporarily set aside, however, the incumbent must obtain AAMA certification within 12 months of classes resuming post-COVID-19.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Provide education to patients on health-related topics
- Measure vital signs
- Maintain supplies inventories
- Administer oral, subcutaneous, and intramuscular medications as directed by the clinician
- Initiate chart forms, obtain health histories and perform assessments
- Prepare lab request forms and collect specimens including blood as needed
- Provide supporting administrative functions as needed to facilitate patient flow
- Perform EKGs and administer breathing treatments
- Document care and procedures on medical records
- Clean and sterilize instruments
- Clean and sanitize exam rooms and restock supplies
- Prepare patients for exam and assist clinician with exam when needed
- Prepare and perform hearing and vision tests on patients as needed
- Phone in prescriptions to pharmacies as ordered by the clinician on prescription sheets
- Provide education (verbal and/or written) to patients
- Assist in making referrals to outside facilities
- Assist with completion and notification of follow-up care when needed
- Schedule appointments, inform patients of appointment preparation and return phone calls received in the appointment office
- Participate in off-site immunization clinics and orientation (SOAR) sessions
- Enter patient information into the Medical Management Information System
- Follow safety and other risk management policies in performance of work
- Maintain, repair and clean tools, equipment and work areas
- Maintain medical records
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Diploma from an approved/accredited medical assistant program
Other Required Qualifications
- CPR certification
- Must be able to obtain certification through the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) within 12 months of classes resuming post-COVID-19
- One (1) or more years of related work experience
$25,500 - $26,500
Required Documents to Attach
Please attach three (3) references to the List of References in Required Attachments.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Navigate web access and email with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to assess clinical situations to prioritize care
- Proficient with computers and computer applications, including Microsoft Office, Google, and e-mail
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and secure sensitive information
- Understanding of procedures and willingness to follow University policies to meet institutional goals
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational and human relations skills
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service-centered work ethic
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
Apply Before Date
October 24, 2020
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or email@example.com.
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
- Successful completion of urinalysis screening prior to employment
- Subject to random drug urinalysis screening while employed
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the AAMA certification requirement has been temporarily set aside, however, the incumbent must be able to obtain AAMA certification within 12 months of classes resuming post-COVID-19.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Walk, kneel and stand throughout day
- May have to assist other nursing staff in lifting a patient onto a bed/exam table
- Possible exposure to chemicals such as disinfectants, cleansers, soaps, etc
- Possible exposure to latex, plastic and other materials used for personal protective equipment
- Exposure to noise and distractions
- Exposure to unpredictable behaviors
- Possible exposure to bio-hazardous materials, including pathogens
- Workweek may occasionally extend beyond 40 hours to evenings and weekends
- Occasional travel may be required
Standard and Education
2500101 - General Health Services
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=221063&PostingSeq=1